[SOLVED] Weird desktop experience of disappearing icons, etc.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Weird desktop experience of disappearing icons, etc.

Post by Sobieski »

Ever since I installed Mint 20 Mate desktop, for the first few weeks, I had a reasonably trouble-free time setting things up and adapting to the new GTK3 regime. Only recently I've been experiencing my desktop going somewhat crazy with the icons disappearing and having no mouse interactivity with the desktop.

Initially I was able to deal with it by logging out and back in again and the problem would seemingly self-correct. In the last 24 hours, a new issue arose: I seemed to have what looked like two desktops appearing simultaneously and I could notice two sets of icons distinguished by size. Moreover, one set I could manipulate with the mouse and the other I couldn't.

I checked the process list and after some looking I saw a process called "desktopfolder", something which I had hitherto not seen. I killed that process, got my desktop back and was able to get access to the icons and files. This has never happened to me before.

Has anyone else had this experience? I'm thinking that these issues might be caused by some of the GTK3 themes.... but I'm not sure. Does anyone more expert than me actually know what is going on here? I seem to know how to deal with it and get the workflow back but I would like to know more about this phenomenon.

Thank all you good people in advance. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Weird desktop experience of disappearng icons, etc.

Post by Flemur »

Sobieski wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:25 am I checked the process list and after some looking I saw a process called "desktopfolder", something which I had hitherto not seen. I killed that process, got my desktop back and was able to get access to the icons and files. This has never happened to me before.
https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... ktopfolder
desktopfolder
Organize your desktop with panels, notes and photos
https://github.com/spheras/desktopfolder
no reviews
You might try disabling desktopfolder, or removing the package ... but make sure it doesn't want to remove the rest of your desktop.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Sobieski
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Weird desktop experience of disappearng icons, etc.

Post by Sobieski »

Many thanks. I'll give it a go and see how it solves things.

Return to “MATE”