Applications don't exit as expected.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FuzzyTheBear
Level 1
Level 1

Applications don't exit as expected.

Post by FuzzyTheBear »

The install is about a week old .. done the usual applications reinstalls. Mint 20.1 Mate .. all good . Firefox , few games
I try to exit programs , vlc .. games , other desktop apps and once every 2 3 times , the application does not really close.
I got to go to terminal and kill the process. Using xkill or a combination of commands in a terminal.

Last time a few minutes ago .. the window decorations were gone , the taskbar at the bottom frozen and it's never just one symptom
but always a combination of symptoms.

It's fully updated. runs good .. but always this silly " programs wont exit cleanly " problem.

I truly haven't a clue what i'm looking at , this is highly unusual .. Iv'e seen a lot .. but never something similar.
Any help solving would be appreciated.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Applications don't exit as expected.

Post by all41 »

FuzzyTheBear wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:07 pm The install is about a week old .. done the usual applications reinstalls. Mint 20.1 Mate .. all good . Firefox , few games
I try to exit programs , vlc .. games , other desktop apps and once every 2 3 times , the application does not really close.
I got to go to terminal and kill the process. Using xkill or a combination of commands in a terminal.

Last time a few minutes ago .. the window decorations were gone , the taskbar at the bottom frozen and it's never just one symptom
but always a combination of symptoms.

It's fully updated. runs good .. but always this silly " programs wont exit cleanly " problem.

I truly haven't a clue what i'm looking at , this is highly unusual .. Iv'e seen a lot .. but never something similar.
Any help solving would be appreciated.

Hi-welcome to the Mint forums.
Which window manager are you using? Look in your Desktop Settings/Windows.
The decorations problem is often encountered using Compiz. Try the Marco+Compton or
Marco+Compositing for a while to verify
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
FuzzyTheBear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FuzzyTheBear »

20.1 Mate edition
I did a check .. it's on Marco + Compton .. i switched to Marco + composition for a try.

Ill see during the course of the day if the situation changes, if so i'll post.
FuzzyTheBear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FuzzyTheBear »

Same situation :)

I had VLC open , only file playing was a movie ( terminator ) and the only file in the playlist .. again closed it using the x top right .. tried to start a movie ( terminator dark fate ) through caja file manager / choosed VLC to play the file again .. nothing happened so i went to terminal

ric@ric:~$ ps aux | grep vlc
ric 21343 11.8 5.4 2887864 444708 ? Sl jun19 51:08 /usr/bin/vlc --started-from-file /home/ric/Downloads/Farscape - Season 1-4+The.Peacekeeper.Wars.Part.1&2/Farscape_Season 4/Farscape-4x11.Unrealized_Reality.DVDRip_XviD-fov.avi /home/ric/Downloads/Farscape - Season 1-4+The.Peacekeeper.Wars.Part.1&2/Farscape_Season 4/Farscape - S04E12 - Kansas.avi /home/ric/Downloads/Farscape - Season 1-4+The.Peacekeeper.Wars.Part.1&2/Farscape_Season 4/Farscape - S04E13 - Terra Firma.avi /home/ric/Downloads/Farscape - Season 1-4+The.Peacekeeper.Wars.Part.1&2/Farscape_Season 4/Farscape - S04E14 - Twice Shy.avi /home/ric/Downloads/Farscape - Season 1-4+The.Peacekeeper.Wars.Part.1&2/Farscape_Season 4/Farscape - S04E15 - Mental As Anything.avi /home/ric/Downloads/Farscape - Season 1-4+The.Peacekeeper.Wars.Part.1&2/Farscape_Season 4/Farscape - S04E16 - Bringing Home The Beacon.avi /home/ric/Downloads/Farscape - Season 1-4+The.Peacekeeper.Wars.Part.1&2/Farscape_Season 4/Farscape - S04E17 - A Constellation Of Doubt.avi /home/ric/Downloads/Farscape - Season 1-4+The.Peacekeeper.Wars.Part.1&2/Farscape_Season 4/Farscape - S04E18 - Prayer.avi
ric 26697 0.0 0.0 3172 732 pts/0 D+ 04:22 0:00 grep vlc

So closing the window didn't close the process but also showed the old cleared playlist and not the last file played either
So VLC bug ? Window manager bug ? How can i tell at this point ?
this is something else :D Entertaining to say the least

Ric
FuzzyTheBear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FuzzyTheBear »

Again .. so i killed that process .. started VLC from Caja closed with the x top right and get this .. again .. i can't launch another movie

ric@ric:~$ ps aux | grep vlc
ric 26768 14.2 2.2 2812060 182072 ? Sl 04:29 0:02 /usr/bin/vlc --started-from-file /home/ric/Storage/Films/The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)/The.League.of.Extraordinary.Gentlemen.2003.720p.BrRip.x264.YIFY.mp4
ric 26822 0.0 0.0 11468 728 pts/0 S+ 04:30 0:00 grep vlc

i dont get it at all. window closes .. but the process is still there.

Time for some coffee ..
FuzzyTheBear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FuzzyTheBear »

Enters the helpfull linuxmint-help IRC channel

We tracked this error down , this happens only if the files are on a mounted drive at /home/ric/Storage and only if the x upper right is used to close VLC
It dosen't happen otherwise. Quite cool as a bug.

Pretty dang interesting to hunt that one down, many thanks to orcus for his help.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

Glad you found something that might help you. This is an annoying problem that only happens maybe 1% of the time. If your application doesn't restart normally (gives no response to a restart), then it probably happened. It seems to happen only on a few programs, and only 5% of the time on them - shutter, vlc, and a few others. Really very few programs. I hope we find a permanent solution someday.
DeathDancer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DeathDancer »

As to this error in vlc: there is a work-around though I haven't used it for a long time. But if my memory serves me correctly you had to change a setting in preferences. After you open vlc go to Tools then Preferences, at the top of the new window click Video. In Video Settings Change Output to X11 video output (XCB). (This may not work if your system uses Wayland instead of X11)
Come over to the Darkside (we have Cookies).

Return to “MATE”