Move to Bin

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Colin66
Level 1
Level 1

Move to Bin

Post by Colin66 »

I have recently installed Mint 20.1 mate version to replace Mint 18.1 mate which "expired" in April and have been using for a few years.
Is there any easy way of changing the name of the option "Move to Bin", in the menu which appears when right clicking a file, back to "Move to Wastebasket" like it used be to in Mint 18 and 19?
The reason is that I already have a file called bin in my home folder containing a lot of program scripts that I do not want to move or rename.
I know linux is case sensitive and "Bin" is different from "bin" but it makes me hesitate before deleting a file. Its sometimes quicker using the mouse than just pressing the delete key on the keyboard.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Move to Bin

Post by rene »

Specific answer is going to be a MATE localisation issue and I don't use MATE so can't advise on that very specifically but still thought I'd note that if MATE's file manager has an rclick "Move to Bin" choice in the sense of "Move to Trash" then that "Bin" will not just not be the same as the directory ~/bin but will have even absolutely nothing to do with it; will not refer to a filesystem object directly but to the normal GVFS-managed ~/.local/share/Trash.

I.e., while I agree that "Bin" is a spectacularly lousy designation on Linux, in practice it won't in fact matter.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Colin66 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:35 am Is there any easy way of changing the name of the option "Move to Bin", in the menu which appears when right clicking a file, back to "Move to Wastebasket" like it used be to in Mint 18 and 19?
There's a way, but it's not easy, of course. The string is part of the locale settings.

Here's how to change the text for mate-panel by changing the locale files, it even uses en_GB in the example:
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/change- ... stem/10465

Here are the po files for caja (rather than mate-panel) to use with those instructions:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/caja/tree/master/po

Good luck!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Colin66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Colin66 »

Thanks for the reply.
I read the instructions in the links, installed poedit and examined the .po file today.
There were a lot of references to "Bin" and Trash in the file plus several warning icons.
I decided not to risk changing anything.
I had to use command line login yesterday to recover from a failed attempt to change the graphics driver. I managed to sort that out, but don't want any more problems at present.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

I note that Mint 18.3 Cinnamon has "Move to Trash" and can't remember ever seeing "Bin" anywhere so has v20 changed the name of it? It is certainly "Trash" on a 32 bit 18.1 Mate.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

RollyShed wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:12 am I note that Mint 18.3 Cinnamon has "Move to Trash" and can't remember ever seeing "Bin" anywhere so has v20 changed the name of it? It is certainly "Trash" on a 32 bit 18.1 Mate.
It is dependent on location during installation of the OS. Being in England I was pleased to see the developers had used the term Rubbish Bin, or maybe it was just Bin, rather than Trash when I had Mint 18. I commented on it at the time and gm10 (if you remember him) explained that it was a result of the translations for each country.
Cliff Coggin

Return to “MATE”