how to remove "shutdown" button

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kp2gmail
Level 1
Level 1

how to remove "shutdown" button

Post by kp2gmail »

Hello,
After couple hours of trying, I give up - I need help.
I have to remove or deactivate "Shutdown button" in Mint Menu (Compact) in Mint MATE 20.1

It can't be THAT hard, because it is gone when I connect with RDP. I want the same for local users.
What I've tried:
- editing polkit files
- using gsettings and dconf-editor
- editing /usr/share/mate-panel/layouts/* files
- editing /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/* files

What I managed was removing all buttons from dialog menu (shutdown, restart and suspend) but there is still Cancel button and dreaded countdown timer that causes shutdown after 60 seconds....
I am one failed attempt from installing Windows and running Mint as VM...help !

Edit:
After I set countdown timer to 0, button dissapeared ! Or so i thought...
I updated system and there it was again. I set timer to 0 again, logged out/in, restarted computer and it was still there.
I switched between users couple of times and it's finally gone.
Looks like I have to run dconf-editor and logout to make it dissappear after restart ? I can live with that.
But it's strange there is no simple solution to such common problem (try to google "disable shutdown gui linux" and you'll see)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DeathDancer
Level 2
Level 2

Re: how to remove "shutdown" button

Post by DeathDancer »

I assume you mean the shutdown dialogue box that appears after you click the shutdown button in mint menu. First if you ever used MS-Windows before Vista you also would get a dialogue box, but with a pull down menu. The options were about the same as you see in the 60 second shut down menu in all Linux based distros In later versions of MS-Windows (Vista to present) this was incorporated into the start menu shut down button. So the concept is nothing new. What I fail to understand is why you or anyone would wish to disable such a handy feature. I mean it’s not that hard to click “shutdown” in the shutdown dialogue and shut down the system immediately after it writes all the cached files in memory back to the hard drive. So why would you wish to disable it? Do you hope to turn off the system faster or what? I don’t see a good reason behind disabling the shutdown dialogue box other than to say I did it.
So please explain your reason as you really wouldn’t gain anything, and I doubt removing it would be a very easy task.
Come over to the Darkside (we have Cookies).
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

DeathDancer wrote: What I fail to understand is why you or anyone would wish to disable such a handy feature.
Perhaps the OP wants to prevent the computer which they RDP into from being shutdown by local users.
DeathDancer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DeathDancer »

Granted, but in that case you would need to do some hardware hacks to prevent someone from simply pushing the power button.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

DeathDancer wrote: .. simply pushing the power button also.
Well, by that same logic, they could just pull the plug, or disconnect it from the network too.
DeathDancer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DeathDancer »

Maybe we could lock it in a safe?

Return to “MATE”