How to switch to modern layout?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
klushhhhhhh
Level 1
Level 1

How to switch to modern layout?

Post by klushhhhhhh »

How to set modern layout? Easy in Cinnamon, but no such option in MATE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How to switch to modern layout?

Post by ajgreeny »

So, as an Xfce user, tell me what you mean by "modern layout"

I do not use cinnamon or Mate so I am not sure what you are really looking for.
Fizz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Fizz »

I think he means this:
https://www.opensourcefeed.org/1-linuxm ... rn-layout/

I can't answer the question though because i use Cinnamon, and don't have much experience with MATE and none with Xfce. But from what i've read, i think Modern layout is a Cinnamon-only feature.

-Fizz
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

klushhhhhhh wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:04 pm How to set modern layout? Easy in Cinnamon, but no such option in MATE.
When you right-click the panel and select Add to Panel, all of the add-ons that you can use are displayed. If none of the add-ons match what you are looking for then the add-on doesn't exist. There are only two switchers in MATE: Window List (switch between open windows using buttons) and Window Selector (switch between open windows using a menu). Neither of those are like the Cinnamon 'modern layout', so if you want Cinnamon 'modern layout', use Cinnamon.
mflouze
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mflouze »

Hi, I was looking for the same thing and I found it.

Go to Preferences > Welcome screen (or "Start screen" maybe, I use it in French).
Then you will have the same panel that was displayed the first time you launched Mint.

I hope it helps!
isaiah_sp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by isaiah_sp »

I've been recently looking for applets that would let me have this style of panel, and turns out MATE does have one, and its not pre-installed with Mint.

Run this on the terminal to install it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install mate-dock-applet
Then add the "Dock" applet to the panel you want (right click on the panel>Add to panel)

In my experience, this only serves as a cosmetic, as it will not restore minimized apps by just clicking on the desired app's icon if a window is already present, forcing you to use Alt+Tab, which is inconvenient if you don't use keyboard bindings often or just don't feel like it.

(Third edit I do for this post, that only happens when using Compiz as the window manager, my point about inconvenience still stands)
(Hopefully last edit, I had to restart my system for alll of that to solve itself :/, thank you MATE)

Some tips:

-Make the panel height about 38px for the icons to look sharp. (might be different depending on your display resolution, I'm not sure)
-Open "/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/linuxmint-logo-filled-ring.svg" with GIMP and render it as a 32x32 image, export it somewhere and use that as your start menu's icon

This will make your desktop look veeery similar to Cinnamon.

Return to “MATE”