How to remove directory tree from desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scq
Level 1
Level 1

How to remove directory tree from desktop

Post by scq »

Mate 20.2

A strange thing happened. On reboot my desktop is filled with my directory tree and my Download directory is empty. How do I remove the tree from my Desktop? I have tried Timeshift and it did not revert.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to remove directory tree from desktop

Post by revmacian »

scq wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:52 pm Mate 20.2

A strange thing happened. On reboot my desktop is filled with my directory tree and my Download directory is empty. How do I remove the tree from my Desktop? I have tried Timeshift and it did not revert.
I seem to remember Mate having an option in the file manager to show the Desktop as the Home folder instead of the Desktop folder. Have you looked in the File Manager (Caja) options? I cannot verify as I've not used Mate in some time.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
scq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scq »

Not finding anything to make the selection
scq
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scq »

How? I have all my folders being displayed on my desktop
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The "Download directory is empty" (assuming it didn't use to be, of course) forecasts perhaps something more involved going on but generally this would undoubtedly be to say that the system thinks that your home directory is your desktop directory: the Desktop directory is a so-called XDG user directory and so as to adjust for locale changes is checked/adjusted at each login. When an XDG user directory does not at that point in fact exist, i.e., was mistakenly deleted or found itself part of some filesystem damage or some such, it will get reset to your home directory.

That is, what does cat ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs show, if anything? Do the directories it lists exist? If it's a matter of only XDG_DESKTOP_DIR having been reset to $HOME then you can manually edit that back to e.g. in an English language locale $HOME/Desktop after creating that directory if it does not exist. If not enough of a description/hint this may as said become more involved.

Return to “MATE”