Bug: On Mint 20.3 MATE LiveDisc, display sleeps even though preference is set to "Never"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
benev4131
Level 1
Level 1

Bug: On Mint 20.3 MATE LiveDisc, display sleeps even though preference is set to "Never"

Post by benev4131 »

On Mint 20.3 MATE LiveDisc, the display falls asleep upon 10 minutes of inactivity, even though "Put display to sleep when inactive for" is set to "Never" in the "Power Management" control panel. This problem occurs, if the computer is isolated from the Internet and LAN and if the automatic adjustment of the current time of the system clock is prevented because of the unavailability of the synchronization to time servers on the Internet.

This problem does not occur if the computer is connected to the Internet and if the current time of the system clock is constantly adjusted by the synchronization to time servers on the Internet.

Moreover, this problem does not occur on an installed Mint (as opposed to LiveDisc), even if the computer is isolated from the Internet.

This is not an intermittent problem; I can always reproduce the problem by the following steps.

Steps that I took

Before booting, physically isolate the computer from LAN and the Internet. (I do not want to expose my computer to the Internet before the Firewall is enabled; the Firewall is disabled by default. Note that the effect of isolating the computer from network includes the incapability of automatic adjustment of the current time of system clock. By the way, if any data is to be absolutely protected from the Internet, the computer containing that data need be physically isolated from the Internet. For security, it is a good habit to isolate computers from the Internet when the Internet connection is unnecessary.)

Boot to the LiveDisc.

As soon as the booting of Mint 20.3 MATE LiveDisc completes, configure the Screensaver and the Power Management as follows.

Note that blank brackets [ ] indicates "unchecked"
and that v-holding brackets [v] indicates "checked".

Code: Select all

Control Center > Look and Feel >

Screensaver

Regard the computer as idle after:  2 hours

[ ]  Activate screensaver when computer is idle
        [ ]  Lock screen when screensaver is active

Control Center > Hardware >

Power Management

On AC Power tab
          Actions   Put computer to sleep when inactive for:  Never
          Display   Put display to sleep when inactive for:   Never

General tab
          Actions
            When the power button is pressed:    Suspend
            When the suspend button is pressed:  Suspend
Disconnect the USB keyboard and mouse from the computer.

Let the computer stay idle, and wait for 11 minutes.

Expected Result

The display never sleeps.

Actual Result

The display falls asleep after 10 minutes of idleness.

Consideration

This Mint 20.3 MATE LiveDisc is read-only and was made from "linuxmint-20.3-mate-64bit.iso" verbatim without any modification. The sha256 digest of the iso image is "27de0b1e6d743d0efc2c193ec88d56a49941ce3e7d58b03730a4bb1895c25be5".

I tested also on an installed Mint, and found that this problem does not occur on an installed Mint, but occurs only on LiveDisc. I guess that LiveDisc may be less thoroughly tested than an installed OS. While a problem on an installed OS may sometimes be difficult to reproduce because of too much customization of settings, a problem on LiveDisc must be easier to reproduce because of no customization.

This problem has been persistent through MATE Mint 20.1, 20.2 and 20.3. In contrast, Ubuntu MATE 20.04.3 LiveDisc is free from this problem. (The reason that I call this problem a "bug" is the discrepancy between the expected behavior and the actual behavior. The absence of this problem on Ubuntu is NOT the reason why I call this problem a "bug". I mention the absence on Ubuntu in order to help the developer spot the location of the bug in the source code, that is, where Mint is distinct from Ubuntu.)

On the "Power Management" control panel, the default value for "Put display to sleep when inactive for" is 30 minutes. On the "Screensaver" control panel, the default value for "Regard the computer as idle after" is "5 minutes". However, the display falls asleep upon "10 minutes" of idleness. I wonder where this "10 minutes" come from. Perhaps, "30 minutes" may be the default on the configuration file in "/etc" or "/lib", and "10 minutes" may be the hard-coded default. Anyway, I do NOT want the display to fall asleep.

To reproduce the problem, an AC-operated desktop/tower computer may be a better subject than an battery-operated notebook/laptop.

Another Experiment

Instead of setting "Put display to sleep when inactive for" to "Never" in the "Power Management" control panel, I also tested to see what will happen if the "Power Management" control panel is entirely left untouched and if only the "Screensaver" is changed as above. The expect result is that the display falls asleep upon "30 minutes" of idleness, because "30 minutes" is the default on the control panel. However, the actual result is that the display falls asleep upon "10 minutes" of idleness.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Bug: On Mint 20.3 MATE LiveDisc, display sleeps even though preference is set to "Never"

Post by Hoser Rob »

You can't assume this is a bug because of different results in Mint and Ubuntu. Mint may be Ubuntu based but they're not identical. There may be different kernels etc.

But with zero useful system info no one can say, copy/paste the text output of inxi -Fxz run in the terminal.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
benev4131
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bug: On Mint 20.3 MATE LiveDisc, display sleeps even though preference is set to "Never"

Post by benev4131 »

I edited my post #1 to reflect the following new discoveries.

This problem does not occur if the computer is connected to the Internet and if the current time of the system clock is constantly adjusted by the synchronization to time servers on the Internet.

This problem does not occur on an installed Mint (as opposed to LiveDisc), even if the computer is isolated from the Internet.
benev4131
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benev4131 »

Hello xenopeek,

This bug exists. However, I do not know how to contact the developer other than posing a message here at this forum. I posted this message last January, but it seems that the message did not reach the developer.

xenopeek or any moderator, please forward this message to the developer.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Your best bet is to participate in the next round of Beta testing for the 21 ISOs later this year, and should you be able to reproduce the issue on a 21 MATE Live Session, report it during the Beta testing phase.

For a relatively minor issue like this it's very unlikely should it be fixed now that historical ISOs would be 'respun' to include the fix.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi @benev4131
try running this in terminal:

Code: Select all

xset -dpms
Then recheck for display sleeping after 10m
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “MATE”