Wrong icon for menu app item [WORKAROUND]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Wrong icon for menu app item [WORKAROUND]

Post by markfilipak »

I've created a menu app item to execute 'shutdown now' and set it to run in mate-terminal. The shutdown functions correctly, but the icon I've chosen: /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/system-shutdown-symbolic.symbolic.png root -rw-r--r--, has been automagically replaced by /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/action-unavailable-symbolic.symbolic.png, or something that looks like action-unavailable-symbolic.symbolic.png.

The "Launcher Properties" dialog (/usr/bin/mate-desktop-item-edit) shows the desired icon, but not in the actual menu.

How can I get the menu to show my chosen icon?

I've tried copying /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/system-shutdown-symbolic.symbolic.png to ~/system-shutdown-symbolic.symbolic.png mark -rw-r--r-- and I pointed the "Launcher Properties" dialog to ~/system-shutdown-symbolic.symbolic.png, but that did not resolve the issue. The "Launcher Properties" dialog shows the chosen icon, but the actual menu icon remains incorrect.

What am I doing wrong?

References:
viewtopic.php?p=1852126
viewtopic.php?p=1845173
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Wrong icon for menu app item

Post by markfilipak »

markfilipak wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:52 pm... I've tried copying /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/system-shutdown-symbolic.symbolic.png to ~/system-shutdown-symbolic.symbolic.png mark -rw-r--r-- and I pointed the "Launcher Properties" dialog to ~/system-shutdown-symbolic.symbolic.png, but that did not resolve the issue. The "Launcher Properties" dialog shows the chosen icon, but the actual menu icon remains incorrect.
Workaround: I renamed ~/system-shutdown-symbolic.symbolic.png to ~/shutdown.png.

Why that works as a workaround is a total mystery.

<complaint>Linux has far too many 'magic' filenames and filename fragments. In fact, a single 'magic' filename or filename fragment would be too many. -- And some people don't seem to understand why Linux is almost impossible for novices to understand and use, eh?</complaint>

Return to “MATE”