custom shortcuts not working anymore

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
waynea
Level 3
Level 3

custom shortcuts not working anymore

Post by waynea »

Hi all
I set common programs to invoke with CTRL+ALT+W for writer for example, and CTRL+ALT+F for firefox. But just suddenly they have ceased to work. They display correctly in start > Preferences > keyboard shortcuts but hitting that key combination now does not work. Interesting CTRL+ALT+T does still invoke a terminal session, so this issue concerns custom shortcuts.

Any idea how to fix? My Keyboard layout in English (UK) which works fine, im on MATE 20.3, kernal 5.4.0-122, and my laptop is a Lenovo X1 carbon
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
minticle
Level 1
Level 1

Re: custom shortcuts not working anymore

Post by minticle »

This topic might be useful:

viewtopic.php?t=305690

I am also trying to remap some key bindings I didn't ask for that seemed to have appeared with a recent update...
waynea
Level 3
Level 3

Re: custom shortcuts not working anymore

Post by waynea »

thanks for that Dude...
I downloaded dconf editor but need to explore a lot more how it works before I have the confidence to edit from there. However.....it seems to show no custom shortcuts at all. I would say that is an expected result except for the fact that or my original shorts CTRL+ALT+V to invoke VLC still works fine. But i couldn't see it in dconf... I thought at first it might be significant that VLC appears in properties not as vlc but as /usr/bin/vlc. But no, Zoom has the same syntax and that shortcut also no longer works!
Something else weird. If I recreate the shortcut for, say, firefox in preferences > keyboard shortcuts it works correctly, but only for that session. Upon reboot it doesn't work again.
Like you I suspect some update has broken this. I might try wrestling more with dconf, or on the other hand could upgrade to Mint21, which might be quicker

Return to “MATE”