Switch from Gnome to Fluxbox

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Rich.Carpenter
Level 1
Level 1

Switch from Gnome to Fluxbox

Post by Rich.Carpenter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:03 pm

I installed Fluxbox via the package manager (also ran apt-get install fluxbox at the command prompt to make sure - said the current version was already installed), but now I can't figure out how to have Fluxbox start instead of Gnome. I thought installing it would cause a window manager selection option to appear during login, but it didn't.

How do I make Fluxbox available, and, eventually, remove Gnome entirely? I'd like to trim down my desktop environment as much as possible.

Thanks.

Fluxx
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Switch from Gnome to Fluxbox

Post by Fluxx » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:56 pm

There's no option that says: "Session" ??? Hmm, that makes me curious, I think I'll have to try it and see what happens....
Now running a slightly modified Debian Lenny.

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:00 pm

I am not in Mint so I am not sure about this, but usually you will need to type the user name in the login screen and hit enter. Then the option to change DE/WM will appear.

The problem with removing Gnome in Mint is Mint is what you call Gnomecentric. Removing Gnome will take many needed dependencies with it. The least of your problems will be replacing GDM with something else, which I believe will kill many Mint tools. This is not a job for the faint hearted, but it can be done. A better option might be the Mint Fluxbox version, but I am not sure where that stands at the moment. If it were me I would just leave Gnome alone and run Fluxbox on top of it.

beauvin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by beauvin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:11 am

You do not need to remove gnome, to get fluxbox to show try something like this instead http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=116759. Pay close attention to step 9.

Return to “MATE”