Disable mouse wheel on taskbar

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dsc3507
Level 1
Level 1

Disable mouse wheel on taskbar

Post by dsc3507 »

Running Mate 20.04 and wondering if there is a way to disable the annoying feature that happens when rotating the mouse wheel while hovering over the open programs causes them to maximize. I often make the mistake of doing this when I have Firefox open with multiple tabs and accidentally select the taskbar rather than the Firefox tab bar.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Disable mouse wheel on taskbar

Post by billyswong »

By the left edge of the window list, if you right click the correct pixel in the gap, there is a "Preferences" which will open a "Window List Preferences" dialog. From there you can disable the mouse scrolling.

Or you put the tab bar in Firefox and the Mate window list by different border of your screen, like what they do in the default config.
dsc3507
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsc3507 »

What you are saying is not making sense to me. "By the left edge of the window list" Can you explain this further? What window list? Isn't there another way to get to these preferences?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Mate desktop calls the list of "open programs" on taskbar "window list". Between the quick launch icons and the first opened window rectangle box, right click on that gap. This is the only way I know of to open that preference dialog.
dsc3507
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dsc3507 »

I still don't understand. What preference is to be set to eliminate the mouse wheel from opening programs when turned and the mouse cursor is on the taskbar? I see no preference that relats to that.

Simple question - is there a way to disable this in Linux mint mate desktop?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

If you can open the "Window List Preferences" dialog, the option is right there called "enable mouse scrolling" for one to uncheck.
20221208.png
20221208.png (17.02 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Here is where I right click
dsc3507
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Mate panel problem

Post by dsc3507 »

I asked this question before and never got a clear answer or one that would actually work.

In 20.04 mint mate the panel contains icons for open applications. I generally have many. I also use Firefox which has tabs like the panel for open pages. When I mouse scroll on the Firefox tabs it scrolls across the tabs which is fine.

The problem is that I often mistakenly scroll (mouse wheel) on the panel tabs and that instantly opens all of my open apps as the wheel is turned. Then I have to go through and close them. VERY ANNOYING! I have no idea why anyone would want this action but it should be allowed to be turned off.

So how can this action be turned off? I have Google searched but find nothing and if I do, it is about some other desktop. Apparently on other desktops there is a preference setting for this.
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged 2 threads about the same problem into a single thread
dsc3507
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Mate panel problem

Post by dsc3507 »

Attached is a screen shot of the windows list preferences I see. I do not see anything abut mouse wheel. Please advise
Attachments
Screenshot from 2023-01-08 03-57-26.png
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint Mate panel problem

Post by billyswong »

Okay I tested many versions of Mint Mate and found when the mouse scrolling window list checkbox was added. It was added by the time of Mint 20.3 Mate. So if you are running Mint 20.2 or older (which looks like so), upgrade your OS to at least 20.3. By the way, I never understand why you call it "20.04 mint mate". 20.04 is a versioning number of Ubuntu, not Mint. It is quite confusing what's your exact Mint version.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

dsc3507 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:45 am [...]
Hey, come here. Your post is not lost but merged.

Return to “MATE”