Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
joeliberty
Level 1
Level 1

Remote Desktop Issue [solved]

Post by joeliberty » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:45 pm

Hello Mint Fans,

I am having a bit of a small problem....nothing serious. I was trying to run the Remote Desktop Viewer (vinagre) and I could get to the Desktop of the remote computer just fine and move my mouse around. However, I could not view any of the files or folders I tried to open on the remote computer, yet the person at the remote computer could see my clicking on them and opening them just fine???? This one has me kind of baffled and I am not sure that it is the host or the remote computer because I tried some other remote desktop programs with the exact same results. I am using Linux Mint 8 on both computers and they are 32 bit versions. The reason I was trying to set this up is that I may at times have to help my wife or someone else who is running Linux Mint if they have a problem. I am kind of a beginner myself but know enough to be dangerous with the command line and can move things and manipulate things quite well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The problem is with the remote computer at this point because I did a reversal and was able to take control of another computer from the remote that was giving me the problem so I know that this computer for some reason is not letting me fully integrate into a remote session. I will figure it out and post back here.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Remote Desktop Issue [solved]

Post by Husse » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Firewall?
Not all ports needed allowed?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

cloo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cloo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:46 am

Well I have the same issue here too.
How did you solve it?
Firewall?
Not all ports needed allowed?
In remote desktop configuration GUI tool there is a button that says „configure network for remote desktop“ (or very similar) - doesn`t it configure the ports too?
If in fact it doesn`t, which is what I expect, this is a bug.

milamber
Level 1
Level 1

Post by milamber » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 am

Can U please post the solution as I have the same problem here.

Thanks
Volker
// Ich habe in meinem Leben eine Menge an Problemen gekannt, die meisten davon sind nie eingetreten.
// (Mark Twain)

cloo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cloo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:10 am

The trick is that remote desktop in Mint doesn`t support desktop effects drawn by the graphics card (I guess I`m not accurate here, so fix me :)
Thus when enabling remote desktop in GUI, user should be informed about it.
Some users naturally don`t know and don`t care if their window animations are drawn by CPU or GPU.

joeliberty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joeliberty » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:43 pm

I have not had time to troubleshoot the issue, but what I did find was that Firestarter needed to be turned off for sure. Beyond this, I have not tried it again, I am really pressed for time! Thanks everyone for your input!

cloo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cloo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:23 am

As you marked this thread as solved, would you please make a concluding post in what way it is solved? Switching off desktop effects is not a solution in many cases.
Btw, in the meantime this bug is actively discussed in the Ubuntu launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/353126

Return to “MATE”