[SOLVED] mintMenu - all apps disappeared (other menus are working fine)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Termalator
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] mintMenu - all apps disappeared (other menus are working fine)

Post by Termalator »

Today all apps disappeared from the mintMenu on my main user. With other logins or other menus (like the Compact Menu) it works fine.

How can i reset all settings for the mintMenu (where are the configuration files)?

mintmenu --reset resets only the design settings, but still no apps
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BillyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: mintMenu - all apps disappeared (other menus are working fine)

Post by BillyLinux »

Don't know about MATE but in CINNAMON you can right-click the menu button which opens a little mini-menu where you can click on Configure...
From here you can click on the menu tab and open the menu editor which then includes an option to restore back to default.
I am just one of the volunteers for a UK charity https://abilitynet.org.uk/
who provides free IT support to older people and disabled people of any age, anywhere in the UK.
Termalator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Termalator »

Yes, i know, but i already did all reset functions of the menu include deleting the ~/.config/menus folder.
The problem seems to be, that the menu is not correctly reading the information's for the apps, the structure from /etc/xdg/menus/mate-applications.menu seems to be fine but still no apps in them.

And as i said on other login on the same machine everything works just fine. Maybe i have to recreate my user profile, but that is a big pain ;).
Termalator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Termalator »

It seems that the Advanced Mate Menu app (mintMenu) cannot find the .desktop files or some error prevents it from finding them, but i have no idea how to find it. :/

edit: Ok ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu/apt.cache seems to be generated and the content seems to be ok, but no apps in the menu (all categories are there)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Try making a temporary new user in Users and Groups.
Log out and log back in as the new user and recheck for apps in the menu.
New users get a fresh set of config files. This will narrow the possibilities.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Termalator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Termalator »

Yes on other users the mintMenu is working fine, so the question is, how can i reset all settings for the advanced menu aka mintMenu? :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

So the problem is in a hidden config file in your ~/home directory (ctl+h to view).
But try this. mintmenu is just a panel applet so right-click an empty spot on the panel and
choose Add to Panel. Scroll down to 'mintmenu (Advanced Menu)', highlight that and click
the Add button at the bottom. It's ok to have two. Does the added menu display properly?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Termalator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Termalator »

I already did that, the only menu that is not showing apps is the Advanced MATE Menu or the mintMenu (it seems to be the same thing) Brisk-Menu or the classic (and compact) Mate-Menu are working fine and the Apps are definitively accessible. So there must be a problem with the mintMenu (Advanced MATE Menu) user settings, mate-menu --reset and mintmenu --reset did nothing except to reset the custom design settings. There must be a other config file (or configuration) that is causing this behavior, but i can't find it.
Termalator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Termalator »

I don't know how, but today it started to work again.
There was no update it just started to work. Very curious behavior, let's see if it will happen again :)

Return to “MATE”