Window Minimizing

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
WaterCottage
Level 1
Level 1

Window Minimizing

Post by WaterCottage » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:45 pm

I have recently installed Mint 2.1 and have been getting to know it. One thing that I can't figure out is where the windows go when minimized.

They aren't going down to the toolbar like expected. Instead they disappear down to the lower right in a trail of black rectangles.
I removed the top toolbar after the install, and brought the icons down to the bottom one, as I've never liked top mounted toolbars,

Why aren't they going to the remaining bottom toolbar waiting to be clicked on again? :?

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Window Minimizing

Post by scorp123 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:59 pm

WaterCottage wrote:I have recently installed Mint 2.1 and have been getting to know it. One thing that I can't figure out is where the windows go when minimized.

They aren't going down to the toolbar like expected. Instead they disappear down to the lower right in a trail of black rectangles.
I removed the top toolbar after the install, and brought the icons down to the bottom one, as I've never liked top mounted toolbars,

Why aren't they going to the remaining bottom toolbar waiting to be clicked on again? :?
Ahemmm ... that sounds very strange. Can you post a few screenshots somewhere somehow, please?

friedtofu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friedtofu » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:40 pm

perhaps you should right click the gnome bar and add something along the lines of "All open applications" - (... i'm using xfce on mint) ...

that should do the trick..

WaterCottage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WaterCottage » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:19 am

scorp123 wrote: Ahemmm ... that sounds very strange. Can you post a few screenshots somewhere somehow, please?
It would be impossible to get a screen shot, (unless a camcorder was used,maybe) as the windows travel as quick as a regular minimizing and the black rectangular perimeters that follow are gone pretty quick,too

I tried adding a new panel to the top, but that made no difference. The only options the toolbar gives me with a right-click are the usual "add panel/delete panel/translate/about" type stuff.

It will do this with any window. Apps,folders,etc.
I can simply open the same thing up again,but any info that minimized into the black hole seems to be gone. Weird ! :shock:

*********Update Edit*********
Just to see if it would work,I grabbed my cheap Digicam, loaded a few windows,and shot the screen. It won't win any film awards, but it shows the effect.

I should have held the camera slightly further back, but the windows disappear down to lower right,leaving no trace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZuXPbMhFY

Anyone else finding this on youtube will no doubt wonder....xxx? :D
Last edited by Oscar799 on Wed May 12, 2010 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate acronym deleted

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:04 am

WaterCottage wrote:Just to see if it would work,I grabbed my cheap Digicam, loaded a few windows,and shot the screen. It won't win any film awards, but it shows the effect.

I should have held the camera slightly further back, but the windows disappear down to lower right,leaving no trace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZuXPbMhFY
Looks to me like your taskbar was completely messed up? e.g. the part which shows all currently running programs is missing. I am in KDE now ... I'll have to finish some work here and I'll then logout and go into GNOME to see if I can reproduce this problem.

Stay tuned ...

quickstart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by quickstart » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:11 am

Originally, I deleted the bottom bar when I first used Mint, in order to place the top one at the bottom, kde-style. Same thing happened: minimised windows head south , never to be seen again. I reinstalled Mint, and this time, I selected auto-hide panel from panel properties, and put it at the top of the screen.
Try Alt-F10 to recover the window. I didn't try this myself. I only just thought of it... :(

Alan.
Celeron 2.8 Ghz 512 MB RAM 2* 80 gb HDD dual-boot Linux Mint / Xubuntu 6.10

AMD Duron 800Mhz 256 MB RAM 20 gb HDD Xubuntu 6.10

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:53 pm

scorp123 wrote:... I'll have to finish some work here and I'll then logout and go into GNOME to see if I can reproduce this problem.
OK, I succeeded in reproducing this problem. :? All I had to do is to remove the Window List from the bottom panel in GNOME. And voila, when I minimize a window it sort of "disappears". I need to press Alt-Tab to browse through all running windows and bring the one I want back -- BTW, that key combo should also work on your desktop I think?

Fix:

- right click on your bottom panel and delete it
- now there should be nothing but empty desktop space on the bottom
- now right click on your top panel and select the New Panel option
- a new empty panel should appear on the bottom of your desktop
- right click on it and select the Add to Panel option
- a new window should show up showing all the stuff you can add to your panel
- select these items and arrange them to your liking:
- Show Desktop (you can move this with your middle mouse button, e.g. to the lower left corner)
- Window List (make sure this one makes good use of the available space!)
- Workspace Switcher
- Windows Selector (I'd place that next to the "Show Desktop" button)
- feel free to add other stuff you might find useful

Now things should be back to normal again. One more hint: right click onto your Windows List and select Preferences ... Make sure things are the way you want them to be, e.g. grouping of similar tasks, showing all tasks from all workspaces or not, and so on.

Regards,
Scorp123

WaterCottage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WaterCottage » Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:41 pm

Yes, rebuilding the toolbar pretty well fixed it Now I have active app. icons showing and the windows have a place to minimize to.

Not sure what I did to screw things up first time around, but thanks for the help!!

satshen
Level 1
Level 1

Where do minimized windows go?

Post by satshen » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:07 am

I had the same problem.. followed the steps exactly as stated by scorp123... worked perfectly.

Many thanks

npap
Level 6
Level 6

Window Minimizing

Post by npap » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:04 am

Never fear! Scorp is here! :)

bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:47 pm

You did the exact same thing I did, and got the exact same result.

My fix was a few steps less than the others though, I just right clicked the main bar I dragged to the bottom, add to panel , window list, add.

problem solved. everything I need on one bar.

Big Bear

Return to “MATE”