[Solved] How to install themes?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 am
Location: Brenham, TX
Contact:

[Solved] How to install themes?

Post by jlr1701 »

Hey everybody,

I have been messing with Linux off and on for a while and love Mint. I'm currently using the LM9 RC with very few issues. What I have never been able to figure out, though, is how to install themes. I have downloaded several from the Gnome Look site over time, but every time I have tried to install one of them, I get the message that it is not a valid theme file. So, I've always been stuck with the few pre-installed themes available, none of which I'm crazy about.

To install, I've always right-clicked on the Desktop, chosen "Change Desktop Background" and then clicked "install" from the Themes tab. From there, I browse to wherever I extracted the theme files and I usually have to tell the dialog box to show all files in order to even attempt an install. Then I choose whatever looks like it might be an install file. That's where I get the "invalid theme" error message.

Hope that makes sense. :)

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Jeff
Last edited by jlr1701 on Mon May 10, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

User avatar
pongo
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:30 pm
Location: The great emptiness -- Nevada, USA

Re: How to install themes?

Post by pongo »

Have you tried "open with theme installer" rather than downloading. This is what I always do and it works for me.
miles quondam et Sinese

User avatar
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 am
Location: Brenham, TX
Contact:

Re: How to install themes?

Post by jlr1701 »

pongo wrote:Have you tried "open with theme installer" rather than downloading. This is what I always do and it works for me.
I've never seen that option on the site. There is just a download button. :?:
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

User avatar
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 am
Location: Brenham, TX
Contact:

Re: How to install themes?

Post by jlr1701 »

Does the type of theme matter -- GTK, GDM, Metacity? Which should I be trying to install?
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

User avatar
pongo
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:30 pm
Location: The great emptiness -- Nevada, USA

Re: How to install themes?

Post by pongo »

I just tried it (in 9RC). When you click on the download button at the Gnome Art site, you get a choice between "download" and "install with theme installer," which is the default. This has always worked for me. This is part of the local OS and has nothing to do with the Gnome Art site itself.
miles quondam et Sinese

User avatar
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 am
Location: Brenham, TX
Contact:

Re: How to install themes?

Post by jlr1701 »

pongo wrote:I just tried it (in 9RC). When you click on the download button at the Gnome Art site, you get a choice between "download" and "install with theme installer," which is the default. This has always worked for me. This is part of the local OS and has nothing to do with the Gnome Art site itself.
The options I get are to either download the file or to open the file with either the Archive Manager or mintinstall. Maybe I should give mintinstall a shot?
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

User avatar
zombie
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:45 pm
Location: Longmont Colorado

Re: How to install themes?

Post by zombie »

@pongo: I think jlr1701 is talking about http://gnome-look.org/ . Not http://art.gnome.org

User avatar
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 am
Location: Brenham, TX
Contact:

Re: How to install themes?

Post by jlr1701 »

zombie wrote:@pongo: I think jlr1701 is talking about http://gnome-look.org/ . Not http://art.gnome.org
Yes, but either site gives me the same options. I am unable to install themes from either site. Theme installs have never worked in any distro I have ever tried, whether Ubuntu, Ultimate Edition, or Mint.
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

User avatar
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 am
Location: Brenham, TX
Contact:

Re: How to install themes?

Post by jlr1701 »

I tried mintinstall, and it did nothing. I'm at a complete loss here and would really appreciate some troubleshooting help. Thanks!

Jeff
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

User avatar
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9936
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: How to install themes?

Post by Oscar799 »

jlr1701,
I'm not entirely sure what's been happening but it may be best to start again from the beginning.
Go to http://www.gnome-look.org and choose a theme you like.
Click the download button and when the download window pops up choose "save file".
Access the themes window either via menu>preferences>appearance>theme tab or
Right click on desktop,choose "Change Desktop Background" and select the Themes tab.
Then locate your downloaded theme,still in its tar.gz or tar.bz file and drag and drop it into the theme window.
This should install the theme.
If it doesn't work its worth checking if the theme is "double-wrapped",that is a tar.gz inside another tar.gz.(right click it,choose "extract here")If that's the case the "inner" tar.gz needs to be dragged and dropped into the theme window.
Occasionally it doesn't seem to matter what you do,the theme just won't co-operate.
I have a file of the "ones that got away",some I've had since Mint7 and will try again with in Mint9
Image

BrenR
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:57 am

Re: How to install themes?

Post by BrenR »

Just wondering.. make sure "gdebi" and "gdebi-core" are installed?
Image
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP

User avatar
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 am
Location: Brenham, TX
Contact:

Re: How to install themes?

Post by jlr1701 »

BrenR wrote:Just wondering.. make sure "gdebi" and "gdebi-core" are installed?
I checked, and they are both installed. Thanks. :)
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

User avatar
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:22 am
Location: Brenham, TX
Contact:

Re: How to install themes?

Post by jlr1701 »

oscar799 wrote:jlr1701,
I'm not entirely sure what's been happening but it may be best to start again from the beginning.
Go to http://www.gnome-look.org and choose a theme you like.
Click the download button and when the download window pops up choose "save file".
Access the themes window either via menu>preferences>appearance>theme tab or
Right click on desktop,choose "Change Desktop Background" and select the Themes tab.
Then locate your downloaded theme,still in its tar.gz or tar.bz file and drag and drop it into the theme window.
This should install the theme.
If it doesn't work its worth checking if the theme is "double-wrapped",that is a tar.gz inside another tar.gz.(right click it,choose "extract here")If that's the case the "inner" tar.gz needs to be dragged and dropped into the theme window.
Occasionally it doesn't seem to matter what you do,the theme just won't co-operate.
I have a file of the "ones that got away",some I've had since Mint7 and will try again with in Mint9
Success! Now I'm a happy camper! It never occurred to me to drag and drop the files like that. *shrugs*

Thanks, man! :D
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives

Post Reply

Return to “MATE”