Screen unlock problem

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
girmual
Level 1
Level 1

Screen unlock problem

Post by girmual » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:00 am

Every time the desktop goes to sleep and on resumption it asks for the unlock password. This was working fine until a week ago, but now once I type in the password and the desktop appears, within seconds it locks itself again and I have to type in the password again. After that things go fine. This happens always except once when I had to type the password thrice. Is this a known bug? Is there something I can do to fix this?

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Screen unlock problem

Post by Aging Technogeek » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:46 am

You can remove the need for a password by following this procedure

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... =0#p284018
Registered Linux User 483387

girmual
Level 1
Level 1

Post by girmual » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:30 am

No, the problem is not that password is required to unlock the screen. The problem is that the feature misbehaves at times, by locking out again immediately after I have typed in the password and I have to type in the password again. I know it is not a big deal that I have to type my password twice, but I still think there might be something wrong here.

raptosaurus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by raptosaurus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:32 am

Bump! I'm having the exact same problem

lemhanover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lemhanover » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:36 am

Screen lock will not go away. I have tried the solution posted using gconf-edit and followed the procedure exactly by taking the checks away on suspend and hibernate. Rebooted and the screen lock is still functioning.

Any Ideas?

Using Mint 9, Gnome. This is the only system on the computer. :?:

lemhanover
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Screen unlock problem (Solved)

Post by lemhanover » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:23 am

In my previous post I reported that I could not rid my desktop of the screen lock. The fix given earlier in the forum did not work for me. I went back to that method (Alt-F2, gconf-editor, etc.). Once at the menu for Gnome Apps Power management I noticed another item immediately below: gnome-screensaver. Opening this I removed the check on the "lock enabled" item.

The problem then went away for me.

I left the changes given in the earlier post in place.

Again, this is for Mint 9.

raptosaurus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by raptosaurus » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:38 pm

I think I used a similar fix. I went under Screensaver Preferences, and unticked the "Lock screen when screensaver is active" and this removed the need for a double unlock. I theorize that the problem was a result of the computer locking itself twice, once when the screensaver activates(when the computer goes idle) and then again when it goes into auto-standby. Hence the need for it to be unlocked twice.

Return to “MATE”