Compositing...

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Lex8P
Level 1
Level 1

Compositing...

Post by Lex8P » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:38 am

Hi I'm pretty new to Linux and working my around it, so bear with me.

I installed a few docking systems like Docky and Cairodock which both say that I need to enable compositing to get these to work correctly (otherwise big black boxes around them). The problem I have is that if I enable this then all my windows go dark and looks like a darker gradient the more windows are on top of eachother.
If I dont have any windows open, still dark and just seem right.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need better graphics card drivers?

Am running on a Toshiba Equium A100 Laptop with standard intel graphics with the only drivers I could find for Mint 10.

Thanks

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Compositing...

Post by feed3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:58 am

Lex8P wrote:Hi I'm pretty new to Linux and working my around it, so bear with me.

I installed a few docking systems like Docky and Cairodock which both say that I need to enable compositing to get these to work correctly (otherwise big black boxes around them). The problem I have is that if I enable this then all my windows go dark and looks like a darker gradient the more windows are on top of eachother.
If I dont have any windows open, still dark and just seem right.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need better graphics card drivers?

Am running on a Toshiba Equium A100 Laptop with standard intel graphics with the only drivers I could find for Mint 10.

Thanks
Usually people use compiz to get that compositing capabilities. How do you actually enable this compositing? Thru desktop setting or using compiz?

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:59 am

Open the GNOME Configuration Editor; press Alt-F2 to open the Run Application dialog and type gconf-editor. Click Run. Navigate to Apps->metacity->general. Check the compositing_manager box, and Metacity will immediately restart with compositing!

Lex8P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lex8P » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 pm

I have tried through compiz and tried through apps>metacity>general

The problem isn't enabling it, it's once it is enabled it doesn't seem like it looks right, or behaves right.
I might be completely missing something, but am stuck lol

Attached image below the minute I click enable...

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Disable compiz first before you enable gnome-compositing from desktop setting.
Try use compiz check to see if your machine capable of it.
Install fusion-icon, and run it. From fusion icon, you can switch compiz to metacity and vice versa more easily.

Lex8P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lex8P » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:25 am

feed3 wrote:Disable compiz first before you enable gnome-compositing from desktop setting.
Try use compiz check to see if your machine capable of it.
Install fusion-icon, and run it. From fusion icon, you can switch compiz to metacity and vice versa more easily.
Thanks, I ran compiz-check and got the result as displayed below. Monitor's are running in dual head as they would in windows mon1 (1280x800) mon2 (1680x1050). If the graphics card doesn't support this, then for apps like docky etc. is there another way to get rid of the black box border thingy?

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:34 am

Lex8P wrote:for apps like docky etc. is there another way to get rid of the black box border thingy?
If my memory doesn't cheat me, cairo dock have that kind of ability. Hasn't use cairo dock for a long time. You can try it. Functional-wise, it has more applets supported than docky or even awn. you can even put mint menu into it.

Lex8P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lex8P » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 am

feed3 wrote:
Lex8P wrote:for apps like docky etc. is there another way to get rid of the black box border thingy?
If my memory doesn't cheat me, cairo dock have that kind of ability. Hasn't use cairo dock for a long time. You can try it. Functional-wise, it has more applets supported than docky or even awn. you can even put mint menu into it.

Thanks for that, have already tried cairo, and it does the exact same thing.

It seems like it is just these kind of apps that do it, may need to abandon them and get me a better pc lol

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:42 am

Lex8P wrote: Thanks for that, have already tried cairo, and it does the exact same thing.
Do you tried the "fake transparency" in that cairo dock? If not mistaken, in "system" tab. Another dock that doesn't require composite manager is simdock (though i found it not to have full of functionality as compared to docky,awn or cairo dock.

Lex8P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lex8P » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:18 am

feed3 wrote:
Lex8P wrote: Thanks for that, have already tried cairo, and it does the exact same thing.
Do you tried the "fake transparency" in that cairo dock? If not mistaken, in "system" tab. Another dock that doesn't require composite manager is simdock (though i found it not to have full of functionality as compared to docky,awn or cairo dock.
Just tried with fake transparency, and if i tick the box to enable, it does nothing, if I leave the menu and re-enter, it shows I have not ticked the box.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:48 am

Lex8P wrote: Just tried with fake transparency, and if i tick the box to enable, it does nothing, if I leave the menu and re-enter, it shows I have not ticked the box.
Can't say much on that, not using it for quite a long time. Last try on that is to open terminal, type

Code: Select all

cairo-dock -c
and hit enter. See if it can run correctly. If not, then simdock and such a dock might be your only choice.

Lex8P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lex8P » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 am

feed3 wrote:
Lex8P wrote: Just tried with fake transparency, and if i tick the box to enable, it does nothing, if I leave the menu and re-enter, it shows I have not ticked the box.
Can't say much on that, not using it for quite a long time. Last try on that is to open terminal, type

Code: Select all

cairo-dock -c
and hit enter. See if it can run correctly. If not, then simdock and such a dock might be your only choice.

Thank, the cairo-dock -c command didn't work unfortunately. Simdock sort of works ish.

I think I am going to leave using a dock for a little while, onboard Intel graphics card doesn't seem to like it.

Thanks for all your help guys

M4570D0N
Level 1
Level 1

Post by M4570D0N » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Personally, I have given up on cairo/glx-dock. too buggy. I really like AWN with the lucido layout and Dockbarx integration though.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/dockbarx ... -with.html
http://www.webupd8.org/search/label/ava ... results=10

Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mozenrath » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:46 am

Could you tell us what graphics card you have? That might shed some light on your problem.

Here's the process I would probably go through if I had your problem. You may have already tried some of them, but I just want to lay it out.

1.) If using Metacity for the window manager, enable compositing by enabling it through gconf-editor. (apps > metacity > general > compositing_manager)
2.) Enable compiz and see if that works(press alt-F2 and type "compiz --replace"). If that works, make it the default window manager.
3.) Install the laterst version of Mutter and press alt-F2 and type "mutter --replace). Mutter is a really light window manager, similar to Metacity, but with better compositing ability.

If none of those work, I'd consider finding a different graphics card.

Lex8P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lex8P » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:02 pm

Mozenrath wrote:Could you tell us what graphics card you have? That might shed some light on your problem.

Here's the process I would probably go through if I had your problem. You may have already tried some of them, but I just want to lay it out.

1.) If using Metacity for the window manager, enable compositing by enabling it through gconf-editor. (apps > metacity > general > compositing_manager)
2.) Enable compiz and see if that works(press alt-F2 and type "compiz --replace"). If that works, make it the default window manager.
3.) Install the laterst version of Mutter and press alt-F2 and type "mutter --replace). Mutter is a really light window manager, similar to Metacity, but with better compositing ability.

If none of those work, I'd consider finding a different graphics card.

Thanks for the tips for this, tried all 3 options and unfortunately none of them work :(
I wish i could replace the graphics card, it's an intel onboard laptop standard poo thing, but am saving to buy me a new desktop which will definitely not have any problems once it's built.

Seems to work okish if I don't run dual screen, but simply cant function with just 1 screen, so I think I will live without compositing for now as yes, I think I need a new graphics card (and new pc lol)

Thanks

Return to “MATE”