gnome-panel not releasing memory

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theboomboomcars
Level 1
Level 1

gnome-panel not releasing memory

Post by theboomboomcars »

I have recently installed linux mint on my laptop, since upgrading from feisty to gusty caused all kinds of crashes, and broke open office. I had heard great things about linux min, so I thought I'd give it a try.

So far it's been good except my memory usage is much greater than it was with just ubuntu. In looking at the system monitor it seems that the gnome-panel is having problems. See photos below:

In this one you'll notice that the gnome-panel is at the top of the list that is being organized by memory usage.

In this one I opened add to panel and if you notice the gnome-panel memory usage has gone up. Which is expected as we are using something from the gnome-panel that is using memory.

This one however the memory usage did not go down after closing add to panel. The memory usage goes up every time I click on something on the panel, then does not go down.

I know I have a lot of applets, though they are the same ones I had when using feisty and my memory usage would not be over 20% with what I have open in the pictures.

Thank you for any assistance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: gnome-panel not releasing memory

Post by Husse »

I can't remember anyone with your problem, the memory leaks are mostly coming from mintMenu :)
If we assume that it is something attached to the panel that's the cause - and I think we can - the way to go would be to remove item after item from the panel until it behaves gracefully. When you've found the "bad guy" add the rest again and check the behavior of the panel so the problem does not reoccur.
For the thing(s) that do cause a problem do a search for solutions.
theboomboomcars
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theboomboomcars »

Thanks for the advice. It seems that the problem seems to be with the mint updater. I closed all of my applets and then opened them again one at a time and didn't notice a difference. Though my memory usage was more than typical. Then updates became available and the mint updater opened up. I just left it there for a while and the memory leak came back. Looked at the system monitor and the gnome-panel was using excessive memory again and the mint updater was as well. Closed it and my memory usage has been normal since.
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK - I have seen occasional reports about mintUpdate using much memory
As a (temporary) solution only open mintUpdate once a day and check for updates, then close it as you have done.
There may be an update to mintUpdate itself one day
mintUpdate takes about 25 MB for me, occasionally a bit more

Return to “MATE”