I lost window borders

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vex390
Level 1
Level 1

Re: I lost window borders

Post by vex390 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:08 pm

I began using mint 11 RC as of last night and after fiddling with the compiz cube settings the borders vanished. I set the Compiz Fusion Icon to auto-start, but it's still frustrating. Using the latest updates.

aXept
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aXept » Tue May 24, 2011 2:31 pm

vex390 wrote:I began using mint 11 RC as of last night and after fiddling with the compiz cube settings the borders vanished. I set the Compiz Fusion Icon to auto-start, but it's still frustrating. Using the latest updates.
When this happens to me, I have to go into Compiz Config and turn off and then on "Window Decoration" in Effects settings. It's frustrating yes..
Seems to me that this happens when you try to configure Compiz in LM 11...

I use also LM 11 RC with latest updates.
Registered Linux User #481425

kprowell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kprowell » Thu May 26, 2011 11:09 am

I am having this problem too. Both of my systems have nvidia cards and when I enable the cube the window borders go away. The only thing I can do is revert back to metacity. I did a fresh install of mint 11 on both machines and installed updates and nvidia drivers. Anyone have any suggestions?

LoCatus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LoCatus » Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Had this happen to myself when enabling the desktop cube.

Seems we also need to activate Window Decoration under Effects,
and
Under Window Management, enable Move Window and Resize Window.

Doing that got things sorted for me.

julius malchovitch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by julius malchovitch » Fri May 27, 2011 2:29 am

vex390 wrote:I began using mint 11 RC as of last night and after fiddling with the compiz cube settings the borders vanished. I set the Compiz Fusion Icon to auto-start, but it's still frustrating. Using the latest updates.
Same problem here, I managed to solved the problem following the recomendation at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/740767.

Basically, replacing the default "/usr/bin/gtk-windows-decorator --replace" with "/usr/bin/compiz-decorator" in the "Window Decoration" plugin settings and restarting X solved the problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Luca

paul
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paul » Fri May 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks Julius! :D
Wasted about three hours tonight trying to find a solution until I found your post.
This works for me too. Cheers!
Relieved and happy!! :lol:

klax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by klax » Sat May 28, 2011 10:08 am

Hi,

I got the same problem - no windows borders. When Compiz Config "Window decoration" option turned off and on again, it works for while. And cube is not working as well. I m on 11 "Katya", not RC.
Thanks for any advices

karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata » Sat May 28, 2011 3:21 pm

For those people having issues with the latest version of Compiz, I'd recommend possibly downgrading it to the older, more stable version 0.8.6. Compiz version 0.9.4 (and any version since their code rewrite) seem to be particularly buggy right now, but 0.8.6 (latest version *before* the code rewrite) is quite stable, and does work fine in Ubuntu Natty Narwhal (without Unity, which depends on the newer versions of Compiz) and its derivatives (like Linux Mint 11 'Katya').

If you want to, there's a PPA available here: https://launchpad.net/~guido-iodice/+ar ... .8.6-natty

Make sure you "upgrade" *all* of the Compiz-related packages (in Synaptic at least the older packages are considered newer, despite being an older version) otherwise you might end up with issues. Not all of the packages got properly pulled in as dependencies when I downgraded, so make sure you don't miss any. (Off the top of my head, I think it was libdecoration and python-compizconfig packages that didn't automatically get pulled in for me, but I might have forgotten one or two that also weren't...)
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695

flateric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flateric » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Have recently installed LM 11 and find the 3d cube doesn't work and the borders were missing too. Reverted compiz to defaults to get back the border but can't access other workspaces (4) and when I try nothing happens.

karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Hm. If you go to CompizConfig Settings Manager, to the General Options, to the Desktop Size tab, make sure you have more than one desktop in the horizontal or vertical (or both) virtual size selectors. I personally have it set up as 4 horizontally and 1 vertically, for use with the Desktop Cube plugin, but you can set it up as 2 and 2 (for a total of 4) or any other combination you want depending on how many desktops you need. Once you've made sure that's set up how you want, go back, then enable Desktop Wall (if it's not enabled and if you don't want to risk using the Cube and crashing your decorator) and you may also wish to enable viewport switcher (which should allow you to switch desktops by clicking the middle mouse button on the desktop and dragging in the opposite direction of where there's another workspace, assuming that's the plugin's default configuration...). You should then be able to switch desktops with <Ctrl>+<Alt> and the arrow keys. You could also add the workspace switcher applet somewhere on your panel and switch between them that way.
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695

flateric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flateric » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Added the workspace switcher as I have on my Ubuntu 'Natty' unit but clicking on the workspaces doesn't change to other workspaces. Not near the unit currently but will take a look at what you've suggested then. Thanks.

krymz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krymz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:22 pm

i just wanted to say thank you for everyone who in here for telling me how to fix my problem :) without me asking for it :)

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 pm

Solved.

Bug Report:
With an uptime of 8h:36m of which I was only using Netbeans 7.0, chromium-browser, and gnome-terminal. I was making some changes in a Application Modal Dialog of Netbeans.
After clicking OK (it is a Netbeans dialog) , all window borders disappear, otherwise known an window decorations with the - + x icons.

I was able to restore the settings by clicking on "Menu >> Administration >> Compiz Fusion Icon"

Aparently Compiz just decided to quit, shame on you.

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm

People I'm making a double post here. Because this discussion has become muddled with anything involving Compiz.

To solve the randomly disappear window border issue:
I was able to restore the settings by clicking on "Menu >> Administration >> Compiz Fusion Icon"

To solve the window border which disappears after uninstalling compiz:
see post:

To solve the window border which disappears after a settings change, run

Code: Select all

metacity --replace
or another person sais

gtk-window-decorator --replace'

sloebs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sloebs » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:07 pm

After two simple fixes, Linux Mint 11 is superb. I love it. However, without those two fixes, it is frustrating and unbecoming the name "Linux MInt!" These two fixes remove the inherited problems that came from the upstream Ubuntu 11.04.

1) Compiz 0.9.4 is unstable junk. You must roll back to the stable version -- Compiz 0.8.6.

2) Overlay scrollbar reduces productivity. Uninstall it. You will have 2-3 "overlay-scrollbar" packages installed. Just remove them and you have the standard scrollbars back.

AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by AdamS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:13 pm

ya 100% agree.

few pesky problems inherited from ubuntu 11.04 natty.

Get past them and mint 11 shines true.

Just wish people would give it a chance rather then pass judgment on such small items to overcome.

Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 have been some of the worst releases I my self have seen yet.

Very ill thought out. Almost rushed out incomplete like Microsoft's bad habits.

Compare ubuntu 11.04 and mint 11. Mint 11 quickly shows a more refined feel.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.

vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Could you please clarify how to install "these two little fixes", and which ones exactly?
How to roll back to the stable version -- Compiz 0.8.6?
How to uninstall overlay scrollbar?
What are these metacity --replace and gtk-window-decorator --replace?
LM19-1 64 Mate, i7-6770K fanless Thermalright HR22, Asus Maximus VIII Gene, 32Gb RAM, NVMe SSD Samsung 960 PRO M.2, 25Gb ext2 /, 1GB swap, the rest is ext4 /home, Vbox Win8.1-64

sloebs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sloebs » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:48 pm

vistad wrote:Could you please clarify how to install "these two little fixes", and which ones exactly?
How to roll back to the stable version -- Compiz 0.8.6?
Sure. Let's start with this one. You need to go to this forum thread here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=73456
and follow the 3 steps using your Terminal. Note that I added more packages to step #3 at the bottom of the thread. So substitute my amended step #3.

Before you reboot, complete the second fix.
How to uninstall overlay scrollbar?
Using the Terminal, again, enter these commands to uninstall the overlay scrollbar feature.

sudo apt-get purge overlay-scrollbar liboverlay-scrollbar-0.1-0
Now, reboot.
What are these metacity --replace and gtk-window-decorator --replace?
Those are not my two fixes, but a good TEMPORARY solution if you are in the middle of something when one of Compiz 0.9.4's bugs leaps at you!

ihends
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ihends » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:56 am

zengeek wrote:click on fusion icon
reload window manager.

No idea what causes it.
same problem..
even crashes..
used 'fusion icon'..
and fixed..
but not the crashes..
so much for 'linux = no crash'..
will it be any update for this..

sloebs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sloebs » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:18 pm

ihends wrote: so much for 'linux = no crash'..
will it be any update for this..
Just a reminder: this is not a Linux thing. It is an Ubuntu / Linux Mint / Compiz thing.

Keep in mind that the top supercomputers in the world ALL have Linux installed as their operating system. (http://www.top500.org/lists/2011/06)

There are other excellent Unix-like OS's available. NeXT (acquired by Apple) chose OpenBSD, for example. However, there is nothing better than Linux. With that said, we still have to deal with the graphic stack that makes Linux into a GUI desktop.

Our annoyance with the current bugs in the graphic stack should be directed to Ubuntu and the folks here at Linux Mint who chose to include Ubuntu's upstream bugs. Although, the beauty of Linux-based distro's is that we have so many choices and we can create whatever we want...after we learn how.

The alternative is to support Microsoft and their business philosophy or to pay the huge "Apple Tax" when you are forced to buy their overpriced hardware.

Again, only a reminder about what this Linux distro stuff is all about.

Return to “MATE”