gnome 3.2

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
canistel
Level 1
Level 1

gnome 3.2

Post by canistel »

I'm running linux mint katya, the main edition (I use both KDE and XFCE desktops)... would love to try out gnome 3(.2); is there any way I can add a repository or something and get access to the new gnome versions? I don't ever use the gnome 2 branch, so if that means that I need to delete gnome 2 first before installing gnome 3 that is fine with me...

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: gnome 3.2

Post by proxima_centauri »

I would suggest waiting a little longer until Ubuntu 11.10 / Linux Mint 12 are released.

There are instructions here for Ubuntu 11.04 and Linux Mint 11 -> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... erick.html
But don't say I didn't warn you - there is a possibility of things breaking here.

canistel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by canistel »

Thanks for the tip (and the warning!). I'm feeling adventurous so I'll give it a shot...

ZenecadE
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ZenecadE »

My 2cents: For those of you that really feel the need... If you want to play with Gnome 3.2, download a live image from their website. Write it to USB then boot to that and try it out. Don't risk messing your useful working system up.

My opinion, Gnome 3.2 is still not good enough. There are quite a few reasons I wouldn't use it. The power management being the big one. Just can't watch videos without the screen blanking out on me. Customization is still minimal as well.

For now, the Mint team are keeping me happy with Gnome 2.

Matthew.Javelet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matthew.Javelet »

I agree completely. The basic settings are little to none. Advanced extra settings does not come by default which should be integrated with the default settings. It seems like the gnome team took 1 step forward and 100 steps back. It's not even compatible with computers that doesn't support graphics acceleration; well there is a classic version but there aren't applets and shell extensions don't work which makes it useless.

Don't waste your time with gnome 3.2, 2.3 is still fast and amazing with more features.

solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

I have seen Clems statement that Mint 12 will have a fallback to Gnome 2 if gnome 3 doesn't run on your box, but I would like to try Gnome3 especially as Gnome 2 will not be under future development. Does anybody know if my graphics card will support Gnome 3 and gnome shell ? Its a Nvidia Geforce 6200

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

solar1951 wrote:Does anybody know if my graphics card will support Gnome 3 and gnome shell ? Its a Nvidia Geforce 6200
A quick google search reveals reports of people using gnome3+shell with the support of that card.

solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

proxima_centauri wrote:
solar1951 wrote:Does anybody know if my graphics card will support Gnome 3 and gnome shell ? Its a Nvidia Geforce 6200
A quick google search reveals reports of people using gnome3+shell with the support of that card.
I did a search and although some states that it "should" work others have problems of slow response with the 173 driver for that card with Gnome shell.
I tried the live cd of the latest Ubuntu and it freezes in live mode, so that doesn't bode well.
Has anyone actually used this card with the new gnome shell ?

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Zalbor »

I tried using Mint 11 with gnome-shell the way it's described in this thread but it's quite messed up. Extensions don't seem to work (at least some of the ones I tried) and the only GTK theme that works is Raleigh (the one that looks like Windows 95).

Stennie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stennie »

I have just tried out Gnome 3 and Unity earlier, they would probably work great on a tablet PC but on a normal desk top they suck.
Clem is going to have his work cut out to make anything useful out of this lot. :(

It was a very frustrating experience.... think I need a beer now.... :D

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

From the latest comments i read from Clem it seems he is working with "extensions" for gnome 3.2 which should enable him to put out Mint 12 with gnome 3.2 underneath and linux mint classic desktop on top of it...If it works out, it should be great... :)

kouta
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kouta »

Running Mint 11 here with gnome 2.32.1, think i might hold out to Mint 12 :D
Excellent knowledge for your webhosting made easily for you!!
http://webhosttutor.com

DavidSTL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidSTL »

Just installed it on 11.10 and gnome 3 works great on my laptop. Tip to turn gnome 3 off hold the ALT key down and the (Suspend) turns into a (Power off) the windows key does the same as putting mouse in top left corner. I could get use to this desktop and thats from some one who did not like this when it first came out. I like gnome 3a lot better than unity can't wait for the Linux mint tweaks to it I am sher they will be out standing like always. 8)

Stennie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stennie »

Stennie wrote:I have just tried out Gnome 3 and Unity earlier, they would probably work great on a tablet PC but on a normal desk top they suck.
Clem is going to have his work cut out to make anything useful out of this lot. :(

It was a very frustrating experience.... think I need a beer now.... :D
Been playing around with Gnome 3 a bit more..... workspace thing is ok... Gnome 3 might grow on me... :lol:

synaptic_d
Level 1
Level 1

Post by synaptic_d »

I've been using Gnome 3 on Mint 11 heavily for daily business activities over the last few weeks. I could never no back now. I have it running just the way I want with my dual monitor set up. I'm still up in the air over Gnome 3 or Unity 2D on the netbook. Unity does handle things better when it comes to lack of screen real estate on netbooks. I will keep using Gnome 3 in the future as it will only get better as they add features and refine things. I'm sort of hoping Mint 12 will be more of a vanilla Gnome 3 experience (like fedora) but then any changes made in Mint are always good ones. Looking forward to Linux Mint 12!

ufugu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ufugu »

synaptic_d wrote:I've been using Gnome 3 on Mint 11 heavily for daily business activities over the last few weeks. I could never no back now.
Well said. I find Gnome Shell 3.2 to be brilliant, slick, and fast. Took all of five minutes to really "get it" and love it. When I log back into my beloved Xfce or Gnome 2.6 envirnments I feel like I'm using a relic.

I think Mint can easily take on Ubuntu (and win) by providing the best Shell experience possible via theming and extensions, and removing all traces of the abomination that is Unity. They may look similar, but Unity is really a hacked together impression of the real-deal.

As far as those how say it is not ready for prime time or not configurable enough, I don't get it. The current release works great, and maybe there isn't a GUI to configure every little detail yet, but it is one smooooth DE.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Yes...in fact the impression we get from recent posts from Clem is that he is not only re-coding mint menu for gnome 3 but also working with extensions now available in gnome 3.2 to modify the gnome shell and have the classic "mint desktop"...If it works out...it should be awesome :)

Ooops, i see i already posted that here... :lol:

Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniel4lm »

craig10x wrote:Yes...in fact the impression we get from recent posts from Clem is that he is not only re-coding mint menu for gnome 3 but also working with extensions now available in gnome 3.2 to modify the gnome shell and have the classic "mint desktop"...If it works out...it should be awesome :)

Ooops, i see i already posted that here... :lol:
It seems that it will be like that. See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9g86MXAf0. It seems that they use the gnome shell extensions(similar to bottom-panel extension).

Return to “MATE”