Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Serbent
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Post by Serbent »

stefano-k wrote:
Serbent wrote:The problem is that I can not find "engrampa" in synaptic package manager, aslo I search in the internent for it and I found not much... I have downloaded from here http://mate.karapetsas.com/index.php?pa ... e=engrampa but when I try install it I get this "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: engrampa (= 1.1.0-1)".
Also, thanks for explanation about MATE package name...
Enable tridex repository: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/d ... linux_mint

Engrampa was file-roller in GNOME (there is an useful post about names in our forum written by LittleJesseJet)
I tried what I found here http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/d ... linux_mint but I only get errors... I tend to think that with my knowledge it is impossible to resolve this problem. So I just go back to linux mint 11 and whait little more time, maby then it works better...

Thanks, who try help me.

Edit:
In synaptic now I can find egrampa, bet then I try to mark it for installation I get this "Depends: engrampa but it is not going to be installed". Any ideas how to solve this?

AstroGeek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AstroGeek »

Serbent wrote:
stefano-k wrote:
Serbent wrote:The problem is that I can not find "engrampa" in synaptic package manager, aslo I search in the internent for it and I found not much... I have downloaded from here http://mate.karapetsas.com/index.php?pa ... e=engrampa but when I try install it I get this "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: engrampa (= 1.1.0-1)".
Also, thanks for explanation about MATE package name...
Enable tridex repository: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/d ... linux_mint

Engrampa was file-roller in GNOME (there is an useful post about names in our forum written by LittleJesseJet)
I tried what I found here http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/d ... linux_mint but I only get errors... I tend to think that with my knowledge it is impossible to resolve this problem. So I just go back to linux mint 11 and whait little more time, maby then it works better...

Thanks, who try help me.

Edit:
In synaptic now I can find egrampa, bet then I try to mark it for installation I get this "Depends: engrampa but it is not going to be installed". Any ideas how to solve this?
I was having this problem. It has to do with the tridex repositories being a lower priority than the default Mint ones. There is a way to change that properly, but I don't know what it is. As a work-around, go to /etc/apt/ and change the name of the file "preferences" to something else (ex: preferences-backup) or just move it to somewhere in your home directory. This will allow Synaptic to update from the tridex repositories and should resolve your dependencies issues It worked for me, anyway.

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

AstroGeek wrote: I was having this problem. It has to do with the tridex repositories being a lower priority than the default Mint ones. There is a way to change that properly, but I don't know what it is. As a work-around, go to /etc/apt/ and change the name of the file "preferences" to something else (ex: preferences-backup) or just move it to somewhere in your home directory. This will allow Synaptic to update from the tridex repositories and should resolve your dependencies issues It worked for me, anyway.
In case you don't wish to eliminate the "preferences" file completely from the system you can simply modify the file like this:

Code: Select all

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com

Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 500

Pin: origin tridex.net
This works fine for me.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

stovenator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stovenator »

Serbent wrote: I tried what I found here http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/d ... linux_mint but I only get errors... I tend to think that with my knowledge it is impossible to resolve this problem. So I just go back to linux mint 11 and whait little more time, maby then it works better...

Thanks, who try help me.

Edit:
The wiki page doesn't make it abundantly clear, but you need to both enable the repo and update your preferences.

1. sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu oneiric main"

2. sudo apt-get update

3. sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring

4. gksudo gedit /etc/apt/preferences

5. sudo apt-get update

Then you should be ready to make use of the Tridex repo.

bdantas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bdantas »

Thank you, stovenator, for such clear directions. I followed them exactly and, indeed, now packages from the tridex repo show up in Synaptic and can be installed. I was able to install both engrampa (to enable "extract here" to show up in context menu) and caja-open-terminal (to enable "open terminal here" to show up in context menu).

After installing these two tridex packages from Synaptic and restarting, the caja context menu has the additional items. HOWEVER, mintmenu is now broken and won't show up :( A notification saying something to the extent that the applet cannot be found shows up and I am asked whether I want to delete mintmenu. I tried everything and even uninstalled the mintmenu package through synaptic and reinstalled it, to no success. Mintmenu simply will not work if either engrampa or caja-open-terminal is installed.

I had this experience on my laptop (Linux Mint 12 MATE, 64-bit) and, just out of curiosity, I tried it in VirtualBox (Linux Mint 12 MATE, 32-bit, running inside Windows XP). The exact same thing happened. In VirtualBox there was no fix and I had to reinstall Mint from scratch. On my laptop, fortunately I could restore my Mint partition to its pre-tridex state with a complete external backup.

How do I install engrampa (and caja-open-terminal) without losing mintmenu? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bdantas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bdantas »

I wanted to write down the exact error message to post in this forum, so I reproduced the problem one more time: after restoring my Mint partition, I enabled the tridex repo, installed engrampa, and restarted the computer. Just like before, engrampa works ("extract here" shows up in caja's context menu) but mintmenu is completely gone. Here is the exact error message that shows up after restarting:
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
Mintmenu is obviously more useful to have than engrampa, but I would like to have both if possible. I am a newbie (these are my first two posts ever in any linux forum) and I would be very thankful for any help.

AstroGeek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AstroGeek »

bdantas wrote:I wanted to write down the exact error message to post in this forum, so I reproduced the problem one more time: after restoring my Mint partition, I enabled the tridex repo, installed engrampa, and restarted the computer. Just like before, engrampa works ("extract here" shows up in caja's context menu) but mintmenu is completely gone. Here is the exact error message that shows up after restarting:
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?
Mintmenu is obviously more useful to have than engrampa, but I would like to have both if possible. I am a newbie (these are my first two posts ever in any linux forum) and I would be very thankful for any help.
That was happening to me for awhile, but after doing some random update that I needed to do (I forget whether it was for MATE or something else) the problem went away. I don't know why. As a short-term workaround you can add the Main Menu or the Menu Bar to your panel. Those can give you access to all of the same stuff as Mint Menu, although not as conveniently.

bdantas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bdantas »

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, AstroGeek. I don't think the update solution will work for me, because my Mint 12 systems (in both laptop and VirtualBox) are fully updated. I will try both Main Menu and Menu Bar and will stick with one while I wait for engrampa and mintmenu to learn to play together.

stefano-k
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stefano-k »

I dont think engrampa is the problem for mintmenu.

Try to use this command from terminal and report here the output:

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py run-in-window

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

stefano-k wrote:I dont think engrampa is the problem for mintmenu.

Try to use this command from terminal and report here the output:

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py run-in-window
This might be one of the classic problems with the old Gnome 2 panel sneaking into your port, Stefano. The Panel failing to load the all "wdigets" added to the panel. I found in my testing of MATE that the new fork from 'gnome-panel' to 'mate-panel exhibits the same problem of failing to load certain panel 'widgets'. For the Mint Menu consistently failing to load this was seen in previous versions of Mint (can't recall exactly which main edition had this problem constantly but LMDE definitely suffered from it). I believe Clem fixed the problem with the Mint Menu failing to load by adding a timer so the Mint Menu waited about 3 seconds after the Panel appeared before it loaded, giving time for all the other panel 'widgets' to load first.

When the main edition of Mint had Gnome 2 as it's DE I always kept an "Reset Panel" launcher on the desktop which invoked the command "killall gnome-panel" which I used whenever certain Panel widgets failed to load on login. I'd keep reseting the panel this way until all widgets loaded which included the Mint Menu.

With MATE, I found that the mate-panel had the same problem as the old (Gnome 2) gnome-panel did so I created the same launcher with the exception that the command was "killall mate-panel" instead "gnome-panel. This had something to do with the timing of apps that start at login and not just the ones involved with the panel. Hope this info helps.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

bdantas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bdantas »

Problem solved. Even though my system was fully updated, I hadn't updated AFTER enabling the tridex repo. A simple sudo apt-get upgrade fixed the problem and now engrampa and mintmenu are both working. Thanks for the tip, AstroGeek.

If tridex and its packages are essential for the proper functioning of Mate, why must one go out of one's way to enable it? Perhaps it should be enabled by default, or at least there should be a pop-up notice and instructions on how to enable it the first time one starts a Mate session.

After the upgrade, the bottom panel (as well as the top panel which I added myself) has a gray "resize" arrow on the bottom-right corner. Having the arrow on all windows is obviously a brilliant idea as it makes it easy to resize, but having the arrow on the corner of the panels looks silly because they don't do anything :) Perhaps this will be fixed? Also, does anyone know if/when it will be possible to add the Trash bin to the panel (right-click, Add to Panel...)?

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

[quote="bdantas"]Problem solved. Even though my system was fully updated, I hadn't updated AFTER enabling the tridex repo. A simple sudo apt-get upgrade fixed the problem and now engrampa and mintmenu are both working. Thanks for the tip, AstroGeek.

If tridex and its packages are essential for the proper functioning of Mate, why must one go out of one's way to enable it? Perhaps it should be enabled by default, or at least there should be a pop-up notice and instructions on how to enable it the first time one starts a Mate session.... /quote]

Glad you got your problem fixed. I didn't realize you hadn't done a full upgrade after adding the Tridex repo. Makes all the difference. :)

The Tridex repository is actually considered experimental and not stable so to speak. I believe that Clem is waiting for version 1.2 to be finalized before updating MATE via the official Mint repositories. Remember, despite the fact that MATE is shaping up so well, MATE was introduced in Linux Mint as a beta build at best and was included for bug reporting and feedback purposes only. Mint users tend to have a bit of a testing streak in them and Clem knows this. :D

stovenator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stovenator »

kmb42vt wrote:
bdantas wrote:Problem solved. Even though my system was fully updated, I hadn't updated AFTER enabling the tridex repo. A simple sudo apt-get upgrade fixed the problem and now engrampa and mintmenu are both working. Thanks for the tip, AstroGeek.

If tridex and its packages are essential for the proper functioning of Mate, why must one go out of one's way to enable it? Perhaps it should be enabled by default, or at least there should be a pop-up notice and instructions on how to enable it the first time one starts a Mate session.... /quote]

Glad you got your problem fixed. I didn't realize you hadn't done a full upgrade after adding the Tridex repo. Makes all the difference. :)

The Tridex repository is actually considered experimental and not stable so to speak. I believe that Clem is waiting for version 1.2 to be finalized before updating MATE via the official Mint repositories. Remember, despite the fact that MATE is shaping up so well, MATE was introduced in Linux Mint as a beta build at best and was included for bug reporting and feedback purposes only. Mint users tend to have a bit of a testing streak in them and Clem knows this. :D
The tridex repo is *way* more stable than the Mint repo (in my opinion) right now.

stovenator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stovenator »

bdantas wrote:After the upgrade, the bottom panel (as well as the top panel which I added myself) has a gray "resize" arrow on the bottom-right corner. Having the arrow on all windows is obviously a brilliant idea as it makes it easy to resize, but having the arrow on the corner of the panels looks silly because they don't do anything :) Perhaps this will be fixed? Also, does anyone know if/when it will be possible to add the Trash bin to the panel (right-click, Add to Panel...)?
I have this issue too, but only on certain themes.

And I have the ability to add the Trash bin to the panel now. It's part of the mate-applets package.

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

For those of you who have been missing "Open as administrator" in the MATE file manager (Caja), the 'caja-gksu' package is now available to be installed via Synaptic or the terminal if you're so inclined. Install it, log out and back in and "Open as administrator is back where it belongs in the right-click context menu. :D

bdantas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bdantas »

Thanks for another great tip, stovenator. The mate-applets package did indeed allow me to add the Trash bin to my panel.

I tried all themes that I have, and all of them show the resize arrow on the bottom right of the panel. With some themes the arrow is harder to see, but it is definitely still there. If anybody finds a fix to this small bug, please post it here. I'll be checking back on this forum periodically.

Other than this very minor cosmetic issue with the panel, MATE behaves exactly as my Gnome2 laptop used to. I even replaced "mintMenu" with "Menu Bar," which I'm more used to and know exactly where to find everything. Linux Mint and MATE are awesome: functional, beautiful, SANE, and a breath of fresh air in these times when "change" is equated with "progress." I've already started donating and will continue to do so. Long live Linux Mint and MATE! Thank you, Clem. :D

bdantas
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bdantas »

I found a solution to the resize arrows on the panel:

Add this to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file. Create the the file if you don't have one (I didn't have one in my Linux Mint 12 MATE, so I created it).

style "default-style"
{
  GtkWindow::resize-grip-height = 0
  GtkWindow::resize-grip-width = 0
}

class "GtkWidget" style "default-style"
Now the resize arrows on the bottom-right of the MATE panels are gone :) Thanks goes out to stinkeye on the Ubuntu forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771057) for the tip.

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

kmb42vt wrote:For those of you who have been missing "Open as administrator" in the MATE file manager (Caja), the 'caja-gksu' package is now available to be installed via Synaptic or the terminal if you're so inclined. Install it, log out and back in and "Open as administrator is back where it belongs in the right-click context menu. :D

Hey kmb,

I tried this and in my /user/lib/nautilus/extensions-3.0, it says the link is broken....so I still don't have "Open as Administrator" on he menu....and I just got done installing the MATE repos w/keyring....cheers

Andrew

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

andrew5859 wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:For those of you who have been missing "Open as administrator" in the MATE file manager (Caja), the 'caja-gksu' package is now available to be installed via Synaptic or the terminal if you're so inclined. Install it, log out and back in and "Open as administrator is back where it belongs in the right-click context menu. :D

Hey kmb,

I tried this and in my /user/lib/nautilus/extensions-3.0, it says the link is broken....so I still don't have "Open as Administrator" on he menu....and I just got done installing the MATE repos w/keyring....cheers

Andrew
To start off, there is no such thing as Nautilus in MATE. I know it's confusing to a lot of folks but anything Nautilus applies strictly to Gnome 3 and does not apply to MATE. MATE's file manager is called "Caja" which is a direct fork of Gnome 2's Nautilus. Any file, folder, libraries, modules, applications, etc that were part of Gnome 2 has to be renamed in MATE so as not to interfere with Gnome 3.

That being said, the path you mentioned above should have been '/user/lib/caja/extensions-2.0' and 'libcaja.gksu.so' is there if you have installed 'caja-gksu'.

Once you have installed 'caja-gksu' you have to log out of MATE and back in before you'll see 'Open as administrator' in Caja's right-click context menu (when right-clicked on a folder or file). Hope this helps.

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 »

Just out of curiosity, do you think it would be a wise idea to remove all of nautilus when putting in MATE so there's no conflict of what needs to have dominance on or in the system...and/or gnome...or would that be a bad idea...all comments are welcome....thanks and cheers

Andrew

Return to “MATE”