Page 1 of 20

Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:36 pm
by perberos
Hello everyone.
I've made a GNOME2 fork. I've called it "Mate".
My english is not so good. And so, maybe I can not give support in English.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Any suggestion is welcome.

...sorry about short description.

MATE Desktop Environment, a non-intuitive and unattractive desktop for users, using traditional computing desktop metaphor. Also known as the GNOME2 fork.

Homepage : http://matsusoft.com.ar/projects/mate/
GitHub: https://github.com/perberos/mate-desktop-environment
Mailing Lists: https://sourceforge.net/p/matede/mailing-lists/
Feedback: perberos at gmail dotta com omg ugly spam bot
IRC: freenode.net at #mate channel

---
EspaƱol: viewtopic.php?p=501294
This post is on request of this post

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:58 pm
by perberos
Installation issue:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mint-meta-mate

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:25 pm
by richyrich
Thank you for joining perberos, and welcome to Mint's forums. Your work has made a lot of people happy! :D
cheers, richy Image

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:05 pm
by KBD47
Thank you perberos! Great job forking Gnome 2!
The only issues I had with it in Mint 12 RC was that the font rendering could be a bit better, volume control from the keyboard would be nice, and it needs a power management/battery icon in the panel. Otherwise it is looking quite good!
KBD47

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:38 pm
by Anakinholland
Welcome matey!! (pun intended!)

I hope we can add to your project :)

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:02 pm
by perberos

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mate-power-manager

It's missing. well, hope it's packed soon.

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:52 pm
by richyrich
You can keep track of the packages and libs here : http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Lisa

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:52 pm
by KBD47
perberos wrote:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mate-power-manager

It's missing. well, hope it's packed soon.


I was able to install the xfce4-power-manager as a temporary fix. I installed it in synaptic, opened it in a terminal, and right clicked on the battery icon in the panel to adjust my settings. I think it was bimebasse (sp?) who told me I could add that to startup applications to have the battery icon stay in the panel. But I notice you will then have 2 battery icons if you log into Gnome or Gnome Classic. I improved the fonts a bit by using Dejavu Sans Book instead of just Sans. I used Dejavu Sans Mono in place of just Mono under appearance. The fonts seem a bit crisper using Dejavu.
Again, can't thank you enough for your work perberos. Many of us prefer a classic desktop and are fans of this MATE fork.
KBD47

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:04 pm
by kmb42vt
perberos wrote:Hello everyone.
I've made a GNOME2 fork. I've called it "Mate".
My english is not so good. And so, maybe I can not give support in English.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Any suggestion is welcome.

...sorry about short description.

MATE Desktop Environment, a non-intuitive and unattractive desktop for users, using traditional computing desktop metaphor. Also known as the GNOME2 fork.

Homepage : http://matsusoft.com.ar/projects/mate/
GitHub: https://github.com/perberos/mate-desktop-environment
Mailing Lists: https://sourceforge.net/p/matede/mailing-lists/
Feedback: perberos at gmail dotta com omg ugly spam bot
IRC: freenode.net at #mate channel

---
This post is on request of this post


Your English is good enough so not to worry. If there's any confusion about what you're trying to get across I'm sure we can all can work it out together. The description of MATE needs a bit of work though. Gnome 2.32 certainly wasn't unintuitive although it was pretty basic looking. That's probably what made it most attractive to Linux desktop users both new and old. Personally, I'm hoping that a lot of productive feedback can be generated from including MATE in Linux Mint 12 so that MATE can really prosper. Once MATE matures as a DE I'm sure many Gnome 2.32 users will be eager to migrate over.

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:46 pm
by perberos
thankyou

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:41 pm
by perberos
I fixed the theme engine issue on theme preferences.
Now I wanted to remove the resize grip on theme thumbnails.

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:59 am
by Silare Alvreon VI
Looking forward to trying this out soon. =]

I've spent a lot of time trying to tweak my GNOME 2 configs, so hopefully MATE will easily carry on GNOME 2's banner.

Ran must be proud. *pokes Chen avatar*

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:03 pm
by perberos
I fixed the resize grip

conceptual basis

next step is continue researching the 100% cpu on themes.
objective: themes must consume 101% cpu

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:18 pm
by tomast
I for one would like to thank you for your efforts.
I really like the Mate interface in Mint 12 !

One thing though , you said ,
"next step is continue researching the 100% cpu on themes."
"objective: themes must consume 101% cpu"

I hope you meant 1% ;-)

Maybe that is what caused mine to lock up , because I chose the Clearlooks theme ?

I hope Clem & Co. will give as much support to your project as possible.

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:34 pm
by kmb42vt
perberos wrote:I fixed the theme engine issue on theme preferences.
Now I wanted to remove the resize grip on theme thumbnails.


Good deal! Looking forward to seeing this fixed in Linux Mint 12.

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:11 pm
by perberos
101% is a reference for the game: Donkey Kong Country

The 100% cpu was fixed.

The next step is fix some issues with keyboards.

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:14 am
by mockturtl
Great work, thanks!

alt+prtscn:

Image

I don't see a mate-screenshot package listed in the README.

edit: ticketed (#57)

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:22 am
by Oscar799
Moved this here - MATE now has it's own section

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:01 pm
by GeneC
Hi perberos

Thanks for all the good work on MATE.

I just installed it to my LMDE-64bit Gnome 3.2 (tracking SID/Experimental) installation.

I have started a thread on install MATE on LMDE in the LMDE section

viewtopic.php?f=198&t=87728

Everything is running pretty well, so far.
My main bugs have been:

1. Trying to open nautilus (files, folders, et) actually opens my web browser (Chrome)
Image

In other words when I try to open something it 'OPENS WITH' browser, rather than nautilus?

2. Doesn't seem to matter what Items in 'startup apps' are selected/unselcted. Mate seems to have settings of it own?
For instance, compiz and emerald both load on start-up with Mate, though they are unselected in 'statup aps".

3. Editing menu's with "alacate" also doesn't seem to work. I have assume MATE has its own menu editor?

All in all very impressed.
Nice work.

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:39 pm
by kmb42vt
GeneC wrote:Hi perberos

Thanks for all the good work on MATE.

I just installed it to my LMDE-64bit Gnome 3.2 (tracking SID/Experimental) installation.

I have started a thread on install MATE on LMDE in the LMDE section

viewtopic.php?f=198&t=87728

Everything is running pretty well, so far.
My main bugs have been:

1. Trying to open nautilus (files, folders, et) actually opens my web browser (Chrome)
Image

In other words when I try to open something it 'OPENS WITH' browser, rather than nautilus?

2. Doesn't seem to matter what Items in 'startup apps' are selected/unselcted. Mate seems to have settings of it own?
For instance, compiz and emerald both load on start-up with Mate, though they are unselected in 'statup aps".

3. Editing menu's with "alacate" also doesn't seem to work. I have assume MATE has its own menu editor?

All in all very impressed.
Nice work.


I'm working straight from Linux Mint 12 MATE DE so the "open with" problem isn't something I can help with. But with editing the Mint Menu, there is no MATE menu editor--Alacarte is it. However, MATE is still very buggy and Alacarte actually does work but the (MATE) Mint Menu is not automatically refreshed once something is changed in the menu editor as it did when Mint was using Gnome 2.32. For adding a new menu item via Alacarte or changing an existing item's properties you can refresh the Mint Menu byt either use the following the terminal:

Code: Select all

killall mintmenu


or

Code: Select all

killall mate-panel


or by logging out and back into the MATE desktop.

For removing entries you created from the Mint Menu the only way I have found to do this so far is by right-clicking on the menu item to be deleted in the Mint Menu itself and selecting "Delete from menu". Unchecking the item in Alacarte does not remove it from Mint Menu even after refreshing. This right-click menu item will not be found for entries you did not create yourself by what I've seen so it appears that Alacarte when used in MATE is only partially working at the moment. However, you can still modify properties of existing menu items via either the Mint Menu or Alacarte and, after manually refreshing Mint Menu, the menu will reflect those changes. One thing though is if the item you have edited also appears in your "Favorites" then you'll have to delete it from your favorites and add it again. The item's properties in your Favorites area in the Mint Menu will reflect the changes you made (such as the path to a program) but it won't honor them. It will instead adhere to the item's original parameters until deleted from "Favorites" and added again.

Too much info so far? :D

And just for the sake of clarity, Since MATE is a fork of Gnome 2.32, all Gnome2 type applications libraries, files, scripts, ad infinitum had to be renamed to something else so they wouldn't conflict with Gnome 3.x. Therefor, the app that looks looks and acts like Nautilus is now called "Caja".

No...I'm not kidding. Just check 'Help/About' in the file manager :D