How to get Mate from Mint12

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldal

How to get Mate from Mint12

Post by oldal »

What is the simplest way to get Mate desktop from a "stable" Mint12 with Gnome3 desktop? I have installed stable Mint12 with Gnome3 desktop having selected login without entry of password. I do use kubuntu 11.04 on a 64 bit PC (Phenom processor). I do multiboot to various installed Linux OS's on my PC.

I have updated Mint installation with the following commands

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get clean
When I tried

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mint-meta-mate
the response was "mint-meta-mate is already the newest version".

So where do I go from this point?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AJ1000

Re: How to get Mate from Mint12

Post by AJ1000 »

You just have to login to MATE. See this site, I know it is about ubuntu 11.10, but the same thing applies, and the screenshots may assist you.

http://www.howtoforge.com/install-gnome ... -ocelot-p2
oldal

Re: How to get Mate from Mint12 [SOLVED]

Post by oldal »

AJ1000 wrote:You just have to login to MATE. See this site, I know it is about ubuntu 11.10, but the same thing applies, and the screenshots may assist you.

http://www.howtoforge.com/install-gnome ... -ocelot-p2
Nice site - thank you! A friend suggested the following procedure:
  • 1 Logout
    2 Login and right click on the login screen
    3 Select Mate
Unfortunately in the various options there is no Mate which seems to suggest problem with installation of it.

After another try I discovered that my mate with the above procedure was wrong - I should have clicked (not right clicked!) on the cogwheel and now here I am on Mate. Thank you for your suggestion of the nice site about ocelot! SOLVED!
AJ1000

Re: How to get Mate from Mint12

Post by AJ1000 »

It is great it worked. Enjoy Mate, it is quite good.

AJ1000

Return to “MATE”