Menu Bar Option folder messed up

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mttr
Level 1
Level 1

Menu Bar Option folder messed up

Post by mttr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:36 pm

In Mate (lastest virsion) Under Applications > Other The menus have mushroomed with duplicate icons from all the other sections. Using Alacarte to try and clean up the menu's, doesn't work. In fact no new folders can be added or old moved to (say the bottom of the list) via Alacarte. I have try to reset the panels with with no luck.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mate-panel sudo killall mate-panel 
I have delete and reinstalled the (custom menu bar) Someone else is having the same problem as this posting shows
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11711900
Second I have notice that you loose the "Edit Menu" option (when right click on Application menu) when I reinstalled the Custom Menu Bar in the panel. Although it is avail via the System > Preferences > Main Menu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xpander
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Menu Bar Option folder messed up

Post by xpander » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:52 pm

use mozo instead of alacarte
works fine.
Linux Gaming Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Xpander666?feature=mhee
-----------
Gfire - Xfire For Pidgin

mttr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mttr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Have tried Mozo in both supper user an normal and the "Other Menu" has all the icon from all the other menu's but In Mozo on shows the correct ones. I can't seem to edit any of the Bad one in the "Other Menu" from Mozo
Attachments
Menu error
Menu error
Menu.error.jpg (131.14 KiB) Viewed 2020 times

AlmightyDoerOfStuff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AlmightyDoerOfStuff » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm having a similar problem. I installed Alacarte as several sites have recommended. On Mint 11 I used it extensively, but on Mint 12 it doesn't do anything at all to the menu. I tried it both with the standard, simple GNOME menu, and with the special Mint Menu thing. I'd really, really rather use the GNOME menu, by the way.

I want to set up the computer in an extra-simple way for an 80-year-old man who has never used a computer in his life, but who wants to see what that Internet thing people are always discussing is all about. :roll: Anyway, if I can't get rid of as much junk as I can, both in terms of applications and in terms of menu items, I worry he'll get confused and/or break something. (He might get confused anyway, but my fiancée and I think it will be a worthwhile experiment regardless, if we can ever get her old HP laptop into usable shape.)

When Alacarte was removed from the standard Mint software set, was the menu's compatibility with it broken or something?

EDIT: Also, I don't know what "mozo" is and it's not in the Software Manager, so I don't think I want to try it if I don't have to.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!

The Almighty Website of Stuff

ChrisOfBristol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ChrisOfBristol » Mon May 14, 2012 7:16 pm

I've had the same problem (see below) I've moved it from the newbie section because it is obviously another example of this problem.

This http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopi ... =mozo#p295 suggests that it's a "known problem" which is solved in MATE 1.2. which has just been released. I would try it and post the results, but the instructions reached from this page http://mate-desktop.org/install/#linuxmint are incomprehensible to me...

Description of my problem:
I've just installed Mint 12 Gnome and it looks great! Thanks to MATE I can use the old Gnome2 style panels and Applications/Places/System menu which is what I am used to and like, and can also try the flashy new Gnome3 menus when I'm feeling adventurous.

In the MATE desktop I have added to a panel an Applications/Places/System menu (it appears in Add to Panel as Menu Bar - A custom menu bar) I don't know how to edit it to add/remove applications though. I have installed Alacarte and I can start it by right-clicking on the menu icon, but when I use it to change the menus they don't change. (I've just discovered that I can delete some items) The menu editors e16menuedit2 (for Enlightenment) and obmenu (for Openbox) appear in the Software Manager, but I don't think they are suitable and I am reluctant to try either in case they mess things up.

I would like to know the official way of doing editing the menus - is it Alacarte and if so what is going wrong?

There is a bit of history to this as I have changed distributions a few times and have had problems like this before.

Later information:
There are in particular many Gnome games and many utilities with names beginning with X, none of which I can delete.

One of the menu items I can't delete is yelp, I've just looked at its desktop file /usr/share/applications/yelp.desktop and it is owned by root. If removing the item involves deleting that file then that would explain why I can't do so. Is that ownership correct?

I have now found a directory with menu lists in it /home/chris/.config/menus and tried deleting it - no difference.
Ubuntu MATE 17.04

xpander
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xpander » Tue May 15, 2012 10:33 am

yeah mozo is a fork of alacarte i think
so it should work the best.
if it doesnt ..then probably something still messed up somewhere.
mint 12 by default has really old MATE packages. so i sugges you to upgrade via http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download
or wait for mint 13 to have the latest versions.
mate 1.0 is known to have lots of missing features.
Linux Gaming Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Xpander666?feature=mhee
-----------
Gfire - Xfire For Pidgin

ChrisOfBristol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ChrisOfBristol » Tue May 15, 2012 3:23 pm

xpander Thanks for the idea, I've got that to install MATE 1.2. I also had to open a terminal and run mozo so that I could use Mozo to add itself to the menu! After doing that I found that I could edit the menus properly with the exception of the Other menu.

I then tried removing some files from somewhere like ~.local/share/xdg or ~.local/share/application and edited one in ~.config/MATE and that got rid of the Other menu and its contents completely. Sorry it's a bit vague but I was experimenting and didn't make proper notes of what I was doing.

Update: I gave up on getting MATE to work properly.
Ubuntu MATE 17.04

ChrisOfBristol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ChrisOfBristol » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm

ChrisOfBristol wrote:xpanderI gave up on getting MATE to work properly.
I've got Mint-14/Cinnamon working properly now.
Ubuntu MATE 17.04

Return to “MATE”