Cinnamon Menu messed up by Kali tools installation

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
yukbon
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon Menu messed up by Kali tools installation

Postby yukbon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi. I'm running Mint 18 w/ Cinnamon and installed the Kali suite of tools using Katoolin (see https://github.com/LionSec/katoolin). There's an option to install the menu, which I did, because adding everything manually is a gigantic pain. Except doing that got rid of the the menu categories that were in the default install menu ("Graphics", "Internet" etc) -- now it looks like this:

Each of those sections has applications within it and I'd like to keep them all under one top-level category.
So I poke around and search for how to fix this or at the very least reset it, with no success. I have mucked around here: viewtopic.php?t=161006 and here: viewtopic.php?t=188484 and am no closer to fixing this or even, really, un-breaking it. I've tried editing the menu via the gui menu editor and the files in /etc/xdg/menu as well as the personal ones in my ~ dir and I can't seem to create a nested menu like that.

How can I add a category menu item, like "Kali" and then move the existing submenus into it? e.g. a nested submenu, within a top-level category named "Kali"

Failing that, how can I remove the added Kali categories and restore the previous categories? Reinstalling cinnamon/xdg

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Cinnamon Menu messed up by Kali tools installation

Postby Fred Barclay » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:02 am

I hate to be the one to say it, but adding Kali tools in this way is highly not recommended! :(
To get an idea why, I suggest you take a peek at the Issues page for Katoolin: https://github.com/LionSec/katoolin/issues

Now as to the reasons behind it:
Katoolin, as you are probably aware, simply adds the Kali Linux repositories to your existing system and adds many Kali tools. There are no safety checks involved (at least, that's what it looks like after reading the source code).
If you do not have a broken system shortly after using Katoolin you have only passed the first hurdle. The hardest part for you will be keeping your system from being broken. ;)

Kali is now a rolling distro. That means that newer version of software are introduced constantly. In addition, it is based on a mix of Debian Stable and Testing.
Mint is a stable distro (aside from security updates, very little of the base system is updated. Mint 18 is based on Ubuntu 16.04, which is usually not compatible with Debian Stable, Debian Testing, or Kali.
What this means for you is that, at some point, you can assume your system will break. An update will change something, or a graphics library will be modified, and your file manager will crash, you won't be able to login, or you won't even be able to boot Mint anymore.

So...
I recommend that you remove Katoolin and all the packages it installed as soon as possible, along with the Kali repos. Hopefully your system hasn't been damaged yet. If you need help I'll be happy to do whatever I can. :) Fortunately the Katoolin source code is not very complex, so we can probably track down most or all of the Kali packages.

Sorry, I know it's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Cheers, mate!
Fred

PS: There is a safe way to add many of the most common Kali tools on Linux Mint. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Habitual » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:52 am

Fred Barclay wrote:PS: There is a safe way to add many of the most common Kali tools on Linux Mint. :)
FrankenMint?

yukbon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby yukbon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 am

Fred Barclay wrote:PS: There is a safe way to add many of the most common Kali tools on Linux Mint. :)

As long as it's not "add every tool individually", I'd love to hear it. It's a clean install and I would be willing to reinstall if necessary.

While Kali itself is a rolling install, the katoolin install method is:
    add the kali repos
    update
    install the tools
    remove the kali repos

As long as none of the tools require something major changed like glibc or something, the likelihood of a broken system is minimized.

Fred Barclay wrote:I recommend that you remove Katoolin and all the packages it installed as soon as possible, along with the Kali repos. Hopefully your system hasn't been damaged yet. If you need help I'll be happy to do whatever I can. :) Fortunately the Katoolin source code is not very complex, so we can probably track down most or all of the Kali packages.

I did try an uninstall of the kali stuff, and while I can uninstall the tools but that doesn't fix the menu issue: the menu remains "broken" but none of the menu items work (since the tools are uninstalled).

yukbon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby yukbon » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:15 pm

yukbon wrote:

As long as it's not "add every tool individually", I'd love to hear it.

I re-read that and it comes off a bit terse; I want to just note that my complaint about adding every tool individually isn't that it's a pain (although yeah, it is,) but that it doesn't fix the menu issue: I would still want a top-level menu that splits the categories into submenus.

Fred Barclay
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Fred Barclay » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:24 pm

No worries mate. :) I've got to do some thinking... I don't use Cinnamon so I'm not sure exactly how you would go about that.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

yukbon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby yukbon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:05 am

Fred Barclay wrote:No worries mate. :) I've got to do some thinking... I don't use Cinnamon so I'm not sure exactly how you would go about that.

Well, I don't know that it's a Cinnamon problem per se, just that I am using Cinnamon. Maybe it's a problem with how XDG does the menu layout? I'm open to switching out menu applets and even desktops if that's what it takes (previous distro was crunchbang running openbox, no cinnamon or mate there...) but all things being equal I'm just looking to fix the broken thing.

Tamine Sohaib
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tamine Sohaib » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Uninstall katoolin using the pythone file (usr/bin/katoolin.py) press 1 then 3 to remove respositories
remove classic menu indicator ( if you install it).
then remove the katoolin folder in the Home folder!
finally you should restore your main menu!! ok follow this!!
go to /home/username/.config/menus/ and delete the file *.menu ///(*) mean anything
Finally go to /etc/xdg/menus/ and delet all folders ***just folders in this path don't remove any file out of folders***
congratilation !! Your main menu has been come back! if not just reboot your computer!!

Return to “Cinnamon”