Protocol error running Dolphin on Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Protocol error running Dolphin on Cinnamon

Post by tovian »

This is strange - after I installed Mint-18.3/64/Cinnamon. The Dolphin app does not want to run correctly.
When I run Nemo I can type in the address...

Code: Select all

smb://192.168.1.??
and get to any of the computers on my LAN

I installed Dolphin which I'm more accustomed to. It seems to work OK, but every time I type

Code: Select all

smb://...any valid LAN IP...
I get a "protocol error". This is not a "one-off" - it is infinitely repeatable.
This is exactly the way I use Dolphin on ALL my KDE desktops.
Using Synaptic I've made sure all the SAMBA modules are installed (and SAMBA works fine with Nemo).

Click thumbnails below for examples

Nemo (Good)

Dolphin (Error)

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for any/all assistance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Protocol error running Dolphin on Cinnamon

Post by catweazel »

tovian wrote: I get a "protocol error".
That's hardly surprising. Dolphin is the KDE file manager. When you installed it, you would have installed a lot of KDE dependencies to get it running, but that will not have set your system up to browse SMB shares via Dolphin, which requires tight desktop environment integration. Installing Dolphin in another DE won't give you the required level of integration.

Your choices are stark. Use Nemo, or install Mint 18.3 KDE.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

That makes perfect sense. However, it leads an intelligent person to question why it is allowed to be installed on Cinnamon if it doesn't work correctly and the proper dependencies cannot be identified and installed as part of the package.

Not saying I'm intelligent, but I'm damned curious !! :?
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

tovian wrote:why it is allowed to be installed on Cinnamon if it doesn't work correctly and the proper dependencies cannot be identified and installed as part of the package
It would be quite a challenge for the developers of all these programs to cross-check their compatibility with all the common types of installation and in this case it's complicated further by the fact that Dolphin was written for a Qt (and Plasma desktop) environment rather than Gnome-based such as Cinnamon.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

tovian wrote:That makes perfect sense. However, it leads an intelligent person to question why it is allowed to be installed on Cinnamon if it doesn't work correctly and the proper dependencies cannot be identified and installed as part of the package.
Installing dependencies does not equate to tight integration with the DE. In your case, the dependencies were all correctly identified and installed otherwise dolphin would not have installed and run at all.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

tovian wrote:That makes perfect sense. However, it leads an intelligent person to question why it is allowed to be installed on Cinnamon if it doesn't work correctly and the proper dependencies cannot be identified and installed as part of the package.

Not saying I'm intelligent, but I'm damned curious !! :?
Actually it's easy to explain. Windows assumes you don't know what you're doing. Linux/Unix assumes you do as long as you have the sudo or (especially) root password. It'll happily let you do things that will break stuff. You may have read that Linux lets you do anything you want. It does, but that does NOT mean that said thing will work.

This is part fo the reason that beginners are advised not to use ppa sources or (ugh) tar files to install programs.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Hoser Rob wrote:This is part fo the reason that beginners are advised not to use ppa sources or (ugh) tar files to install programs.
And yet, if beginners don't break stuff then figure out / find out how to fix it, they don't progress very far from "beginner" level.

Hoser Rob wrote:It'll happily let you do things that will break stuff.
That's why us "beginners" depend so heavily on you "experts". We EXPECT you guys to keep us out of trouble BEFORE we dive in and hurt ourselves.
:wink: :wink:

Animal House
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
At least Linux IS fixable! Theoretically, any amount of borkage can be fixed, given enough time, effort & expertise.

Those human-readable error messages (which you can select and copy!) and logs make all the difference compared to Windows OSs. It's also a great learning experience. :D
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Cinnamon”