[Solved]Any text on the screen is missing characters

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pat D

[Solved]Any text on the screen is missing characters

Post by Pat D »

18.3 Sylvia, Intel mb/graphics
After a few minutes, most of the characters on the screen disappear; but they come back while the cursor hovers over them
Nothing in this thread helped.
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=191890

It also happened on that box with Ubuntu Mate, which we couldn't fix, and now it's started in Mint.

Can anybody explain this oddity to me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Any text on the screen is missing characters

Post by Pjotr »

Isn't this new thread intrinsically a double of your "encouragement" thread?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Yeah, I guess so.
But it's a different machine (the Revered Spousal Unit's) with a different sort of issue, other than the samba/firewall one. After the other stuff I thought a fresh thread would be better, because you gave me a lot of encouragement.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Did my tips in the other thread do any good for this issue?
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Absolutely, Pjotr. Thanks again.
The other answers explained what was happening with the scripts, but your solution of rolling back the kernel was exactly what was needed for everything so far, except the firewall issue. I'm going to let that one go, and rely on my router's firewall, until I learn more and can better understand.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Good to hear! You're welcome. :)
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

You won't believe this.
In some confusion, I changed the kernel to 4.4.0-116 (sic), but it did not affect the missing characters.
Then, still confused, I reset, in Settings > Fonts, both "Hinting' and "Aliasing" to "None"
Again, nothing happened. But...
Lo! and Behold!...
About an hour we were actually looking at the screen when all the characters filled back in.
With nothing apparently going on.
What's with that!!!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Pat D wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:27 pm You won't believe this.
In some confusion, I changed the kernel to 4.4.0-116 (sic), but it did not affect the missing characters.
Then, still confused, I reset, in Settings > Fonts, both "Hinting' and "Aliasing" to "None"
Again, nothing happened. But...
Lo! and Behold!...
About an hour we were actually looking at the screen when all the characters filled back in.
With nothing apparently going on.
What's with that!!!
Stop dropping WindowPane...? ;)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

WindowPane!!??
I haven't heard that in 45 years, man.
Where did that come from? Do I know you?...lol lol HA HA HA

If you've ever heard of Toronto's "Rochdale College" from the '60s you'll know where I come from.
"WindowPane"! So many memories!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:48 pmStop dropping WindowPane...? ;)
I tried that desktop.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Pat D wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:10 pm WindowPane!!??
I haven't heard that in 45 years, man.
Where did that come from? Do I know you?...lol lol HA HA HA

If you've ever heard of Toronto's "Rochdale College" from the '60s you'll know where I come from.
"WindowPane"! So many memories!
I'm glad you got the reference!

Yeah, that was a long, long time ago. I was in Toronto frequently, but not until the late 80s/early 90's. My favourite city, eh? :wink:

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Flemur wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:12 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:48 pmStop dropping WindowPane...? ;)
I tried that desktop.
I did too, but after it started flying around the room I went back to MATE... :D

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BTW, you guys, I was too young for that when it was out. It was pretty popular in the Boston area, however.

A few years later, in the mid 70's, when I started to have some of my photographs published I had them Attributed as "Photographer: WindowPane".

As another Off Topic note, I bought an ATi video card about 10 years ago. On the third boot with the new card, something strange happened. When was the last time you actually SAW the video BIOS load?
Well, it did. Gave me the old, familiar "ATi Video BIOS" notification in the upper left-hand corner, in the rainbow colours they use. I was like, "huh? Wha' hoppen?!?!"
The the letters melted and dripped down the screen! I looked at my cup of coffee and thought, "I don't know if I should buy coffee there any more!"

What had happened was the bearings in the fan locked up solid, and what I saw was the GPU frying itself to oblivion...

Pat D

Post by Pat D »

I r now retired, tho nowhere near as retired as catweazel lol
sometimes i get really nostalgic for those days of absolute fearlessness.

Anybody got any ClearLight?
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

On the same note, in the early '70s, the vaunted Time magazine did a story on Toronto and "Rochdale College", along these lines:
"There's a 6 square block area in downtown Toronto that, by all accounts, has more psychoactive drugs available than the entire rest of the world"

Man, downtown Toronto in 1969 was something else.
The Stones favourite place was the "El Mocambo" here. Keith Richards got off on a heroin charge by giving a personal performance by the band. Like, wow, man...

I finished High School in Chicago in 1969, after schools in the UK, Ireland and Canada. I was there for the '68 Democratic Convention - to graduate (we had Diplomatic Immunity) I still had to pass courses and exams about US and Illinois history and the State and US Constitutions.
I guarantee I know more about rights and obligations in the USA than most Americans. (No offence)

The '60s in Chicago really woke me up...

In August 1969, a bunch of us were on the way from Quebec City to upper New York for that big music festival. problem for me was I was 17, and in Quebec there were no practical rules about alcohol, and I ended up in a Montreal hospital with alcohol poisoning, rather than a portfolio of "Woodstock" memories.
I never made it there; how many people have you heard say "I was there, man..." Bunch of liars, aren't they?

Sorry, I'm rambling, and this thread should probably get moved somewhere. I hope better tha trash.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Since it seems to be fixed (I haven't read everything, I value my sanity) please mark it as [SOLVED].

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Pat D wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:07 pm
In August 1969, a bunch of us were on the way from Quebec City to upper New York for that big music festival. problem for me was I was 17, and in Quebec there were no practical rules about alcohol, and I ended up in a Montreal hospital with alcohol poisoning, rather than a portfolio of "Woodstock" memories.
I never made it there; how many people have you heard say "I was there, man..." Bunch of liars, aren't they?

Sorry, I'm rambling, and this thread should probably get moved somewhere. I hope better tha trash.
Ah, the good ol' days before we had to wake up and get to work... :)

Return to “Cinnamon”