Cinnamon VS Mate VS KDE VS XFCE. A list of comments I found around.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
winxpwasgreat
Level 2
Level 2

Cinnamon VS Mate VS KDE VS XFCE. A list of comments I found around.

Post by winxpwasgreat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 am

I will have to reinstall linux again as a result of a few upgrades which unrevertably consta-crashed the system.
I've been using Cinnamon so will give a go to one of the other 3 main desktop environments.
Not KDE since it's more resource-intensive therefore the choice is left between Mate and XFCE.

The overall impression I have got reading from various sources:

1. Mate is more user-friendly and graphically-oriented than XFCE (slightly more designed for terminal nerds).
2. XFCE has a blockier appearance.
3. XFCE is the best desktop environment option for more Linux distros because of its track record of development.
4. With Mate you will have greater support for bugs over time because of more coders.
5. In terms of memory usage they are both great however Mate is about 20% less resource-intensive.
6. The initial impact of XFCE is more bare bones than Mate..
7. ..however XFCE grants the best possibilities for customization.
8. XFCE development is growing whereas Mate is losing pace.

Some of those statements could be trolls, some true, some completely false, some partial truths, and some other could have been true in the past but are not anymore.
Would be great to hear what you guys think about those points,

About me, I have an OK machine and just need something that works. No need for rounded corners and flash animations. However as an ex xp user I am unfamiliar with console dialog. Paramount for me are stability, widespread use / community, usability (hate mocking around with consoles) and low ram usage.
Last edited by winxpwasgreat on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Cinnamon VS Mate VS KDE VS XFCE. A list of comments I found around.

Post by catweazel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 am

winxpwasgreat wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 am
Hardly. Xfce is considered feature complete.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Post by jimallyn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:37 am

When I first started using Mint, I installed the Cinnamon version. Later I got an old laptop and decided to try XFCE on it as I didn't think it had enough oomph to run Cinnamon. I like XFCE enough that when I install a newer version of Mint, I am planning to install XFCE. There are a few features in Cinnamon that I rely on that don't seem to be available in MATE, and I couldn't figure out any way to add them. I was able to get XFCE to do everything I needed it to do. I will agree with catweazel that XFCE is quite feature complete. A while back I installed XFCE and MATE on an old laptop to check CPU and memory usage. XFCE is better than MATE.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:53 am

KDE is on the way out (no KDE edition in Mint 19). So I wouldn't select KDE. For the rest, it's simply a matter of personal preferences:

- Cinnamon: most "bells and whistles", latest technology, fastest pace of development, heaviest

- Mate: somewhat less frills, slightly older and perhaps somewhat more stable technology, medium weight

- XFCE: rather minimalistic, glacially evolving stable technology, lightweight

Personally, I tend to install Cinnamon on my fast modern machines, and XFCE on the older and weaker ones.
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

winxpwasgreat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winxpwasgreat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:20 am

Useful information - thank you for your feedbacks.

What would you say about the first point:
"1. Mate is more user-friendly and graphically-oriented than XFCE (slightly more designed for terminal nerds)."?

I am leaning towards XFCE because I highly value stability and speed, however I don't really want to mess around with terminal console any more than I have been already doing with Cinnamon.

kc1di
Level 12
Level 12

Post by kc1di » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:36 am

winxpwasgreat wrote:
I will have to reinstall linux again as a result of a few upgrades which unrevertably consta-crashed the system.
I've been using Cinnamon so will give a go to one of the other 3 main desktop environments.
Not KDE since it's more resource-intensive therefore the choice is left between Mate and XFCE.
Actually KDE plasma 5 is less resource-intensive than Cinnamon most of the time. But KDE is not going to be supported when Mint 19 comes out.
Mate and Xfce are great choices but best way to find out if they fit your needs is to run them both and choose the one that suits you the best.

Happy seeking :)
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 am

winxpwasgreat wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:20 am
What would you say about the first point:
"1. Mate is more user-friendly and graphically-oriented than XFCE (slightly more designed for terminal nerds)."?
I'd say that's nonsense. Both are equally graphically-oriented. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:23 am

catweazel wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 am
winxpwasgreat wrote:
Hardly. Xfce is considered feature complete.
Lest people misunderstand your comment and get the idea that it is no longer being actively developed, it is. They seem to be on 4.13 now, although that is a "development version," if I understand correctly, and 4.14 will be the next "released for general consumption" one.

I do, however, agree that Xfce is feature-complete. By that, I mean it has all the features that I require - or even want.

I don't really follow the developers' email list, but I do know that they're more or less focused on changing things from GTK2 to GTK3 (ongoing). I glanced at a review of 4.13 the other day. I didn't read it thoroughly, because a review of a development version is useless to me, but I did notice that the reviewer stated Xfce is (IIRC) using more of the modern OpenGL features... or something like that, lol, and as a result, the reviewer found that his screen tearing issue (that many seem to have?) disappeared.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Cinnamon”