18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit nemo moves icons bug

Post by SilverFox66 »

Oh, I didnt know there were 2 different bugs. My issue is like the others mentioned.... system icons (Trash/Computer/Network etc...) move when logging in/refreshing/reboot. I will add that while I was able to un-tick "use-desktop-grid" as suggested earlier in the thread, but cannot change the value of "vertical-grid-adjust" from 1.0 to .5. The option to change the value is simply not there like other settings, as shown in the screen shot.
kybos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kybos »

I experienced a similar issue on Mint 19 Cinnamon yesterday.
After a reboot, the Computer and Home icons that had been on the top of my desktop were suddenly several grid rows lower, conflicting with other two icons in the same place. On moving them I noticed that they were even not exactly on the same grid compared to the remaining icons.
I don't use Auto-arrange, only Align-to-grid. Icon size was Normal.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

Evidently they didnt deem this bug important enough, to fix it. A year later, and people are still having issues with it.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Well they did fix it...in the next release. The whole thing has been revamped again for 19.1 possibly with new bugs.... :|
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

smurphos wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:28 pm Well they did fix it...in the next release. The whole thing has been revamped again for 19.1 possibly with new bugs.... :|
Evidently, they didnt.....
kybos wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:25 am I experienced a similar issue on Mint 19 Cinnamon yesterday.
After a reboot, the Computer and Home icons that had been on the top of my desktop were suddenly several grid rows lower, conflicting with other two icons in the same place. On moving them I noticed that they were even not exactly on the same grid compared to the remaining icons.
And even if it was fixed in 19.1, that does nothing for those of us who encountered the issue upgrading to 18.3, or 19
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Unfortunately that's just the way the Mint dev cycle rolls. Show-stopping bugs may get fixed in older releases, but 'niggles' like this tend to get fixed for the next release. In this particular case I imagine it's something fairly fundamental to the grid system that is the underlying issue, or possibly a bug in an upstream component that Nemo relies on so not necessarily something trivial to back-port assuming it does get fixed in a later release.

I wasn't able to reproduce the bugs reported in 19 although I was on 18.3 so whilst there may still be some edge cases I think it was improved in 19 compared to 18.3.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
SilverFox66
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilverFox66 »

Doesnt do much for my faith in Linux. So much for "support" till 2021.
kybos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kybos »

kybos wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:25 am I experienced a similar issue on Mint 19 Cinnamon yesterday.
I am on Mint 19.1 in the meantime and this issue is still not solved.
When adding a new icon to the desktop (or when it's added automatically for an USB drive etc.), it's always put over an existing icon.

Return to “Cinnamon”