Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Feature Request: New mouse speed & acceleration settings

Post by vittopascu » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Dear developers,

First of all, thank you so much for giving us this beautiful and nearly perfect distribution and desktop environment. Please consider my proposal in the best spirit of constructive criticism.

In my experience mouse acceleration (for mouse, touchpad is another topic) is one of those things that people either tolerate or completely hate. Not many people really love it or need it. On windows it is enabled by default and a lot of people just live with it because they don't know better, but it is also easily disabled for those who don't like it, and nobody ever complained about how mouse settings in Windows work.

The way mouse settings work now in Cinnamon does not really allow a traditional "flat" acceleration profile. You can get close by setting "sensitivity" to max and "acceleration" somewhere mid-way but never exactly flat. In addition, the way the setting works is not really intuitive and only by reading "the manual" does one understand how tweaking those sliders will actually affect the pointer behaviour. I find it interesting that, in a desktop environment where everything makes perfect sense, this one setting is so bizarre.

My proposal is to mirror exactly the behaviour in Windows, with a "pointer speed" setting and a checkbox to enable acceleration. Want more customization? Let's make the checkbox a slider that when set to minimum will deliver "flat" acceleration, and the higher the value the more the acceleration. The way it is done in KDE Plasma 5 is a perfect example of what I mean.

Thank you very much for your consideration and for the amazing work you are doing :D

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Feature Request: New mouse speed & acceleration settings

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:24 am

It's a driver issue, this happens at kernel level and has little to do with CInnamon or Mate issue, as you should have surmised when you installed Mate and it stil didn't work. Best to jsut get a mouse that works in Linux.

vittopascu
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Feature Request: New mouse speed & acceleration settings

Post by vittopascu » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:24 am
It's a driver issue, this happens at kernel level and has little to do with CInnamon or Mate issue, as you should have surmised when you installed Mate and it stil didn't work. Best to jsut get a mouse that works in Linux.
I actually figured out a way to get flat acceleration profile, as I summarized in this other post:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=300667&p=1683298#p1683298
Maybe it is super hardware-specific to my setup, I don't know, but it suggests that something could in fact be done at the desktop-environment level to address the issue.

Return to “Cinnamon”