What's the expected dual-screen behaviour after coming out of the screensaver in Mint 19.2 Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
ianozsvald
Level 1
Level 1

What's the expected dual-screen behaviour after coming out of the screensaver in Mint 19.2 Cinnamon?

Post by ianozsvald » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:09 am

I have a dual-screen Dell 9550 (laptop screen + Samsung monitor). After coming out of screensaver I get a behaviour that I think is odd - all of my apps are moved to the laptop (primary) screen and the external monitor's screen is empty. I have to drag most of my windows back up to the main monitor.

Is this is behaviour that others have? When the screensaver is quit do your apps stay spread across both screens as you'd left them?

I'll note that if I suspend (not screensaver) then the apps are preserved across both monitors. They only get moved after the screensaver has exited.

I'm using Cinnamon 4.2.3 on Mint 19.2 with Intel nouveau on Kernel 5.2.6.

This is an extension of my existing question on the Graphics/Monitors board viewtopic.php?f=59&t=304626&p=1711300#p1711300 (but I have no replies there, so I'm trying an easier question here).

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Re: What's the expected dual-screen behaviour after coming out of the screensaver in Mint 19.2 Cinnamon?

Post by lsemmens » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:46 pm

I can't say for certain but I'm wondering if it could be some power saving setting on your laptop that is turning off the external monitor. If it does not detect the other monitor, it then thinks "oh! external monitor is unplugged" and tries to be helpful and moves everything to the lappy screen.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What's the expected dual-screen behaviour after coming out of the screensaver in Mint 19.2 Cinnamon?

Post by catweazel » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:08 pm

ianozsvald wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:09 am
I have a dual-screen Dell 9550 (laptop screen + Samsung monitor). After coming out of screensaver I get a behaviour that I think is odd - all of my apps are moved to the laptop (primary) screen and the external monitor's screen is empty. I have to drag most of my windows back up to the main monitor.

I'll note that if I suspend (not screensaver) then the apps are preserved across both monitors. They only get moved after the screensaver has exited.
The behaviour you describe is symptomatic of the display being physically turned off. This should not happen if the monitor correctly supports DPMS. You might take a look in the power management settings and disable the turn off function as an experiment, leaving you with a permanent screen saver. More cannot be said because you didn't tell us the model number of the monitor.
ianozsvald wrote:This is an extension of my existing question on the Graphics/Monitors board viewtopic.php?f=59&t=304626&p=1711300#p1711300 (but I have no replies there, so I'm trying an easier question here).
The likely reasons for that are threefold. A) Three walls of text to wade through, B) You kept replying to yourself, and C) You are not using a stock kernel.

A) is a problem because we have lives outside of the forums, and we will always ask for the information that we need. It's better just to post your inxi output and wrap it in code markers.

B) is a problem because we have lives outside of the forums, and will usually skip threads that have replies on the assumption that the person who started the thread is getting assistance. Only occasionally will we drop into other threads if the title appeals to our areas of expertise.

C) is a problem because we have lives outside of the forums, and will usually skip threads where a non-stock kernel is installed because when you use a non-stock kernel, it greatly increases the complexity, and also because you are expected to be able to sort out any issues yourself.

They aren't criticisms, btw. Just learning moments. You might also try a stock kernel.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

ianozsvald
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ianozsvald » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Hello @catweazel and @lsemmens - thanks both for your replies.

Apologies for not following the forum norms, I've thankfully rarely had a need to post here (my time is contributed to open source in other domains).

The DPMS note is interesting, I'll investigate and report back. The non-stock kernel was due to unrelated issues that have been solved for a while, going back to a stock kernel is an easy test.

Many thanks, I'll follow-up. Ian.

Return to “Cinnamon”