Text intermittently goes missing from menu bar. [Solved]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
ianblakeley
Level 1
Level 1

Text intermittently goes missing from menu bar. [Solved]

Post by ianblakeley »

Running the Cinnamon version of 20.1 all up to date. Recently last couple of weeks randomly usually when I've gone away from the PC for a bit and it has been running for a few hours the text on the menu bar goes missing and I end up with.
Text has gone
Text has gone
Once I restart with

Code: Select all

cinnamon --replace &
then it is back to normal for sometime
It is back
It is back
I don't recall making any changes although obviously there's been various updates. I tried changing the theme in use but that seems to have made no difference. Just really looking for some guidance on tracking this down.

Thanks
Last edited by ianblakeley on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Ian
ianblakeley
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Text intermittently goes missing from menu bar.

Post by ianblakeley »

I did notice today after returning from a trip out so the PC had sat for ~4 hours or so just running some video processing with ffmpeg that after I restored the desktop again I was seeing this message

Code: Select all

Cinnamon warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x6000010
relating to a Thunderbird window i.e if I return a minimised window it generates the warning but does not crash.
--
Ian
ianblakeley
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Text intermittently goes missing from menu bar.

Post by ianblakeley »

Not a solution per se but the problem seems to be the use of an app birdtray https://github.com/gyunaev/birdtray seems to be related to the blink speed for the tray icon, I'd put it up to about 75%. Dropping back to 50% I don't see the issue anymore.
--
Ian

Return to “Cinnamon”