Restore default user prefs (icon/font size, etc)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
DealerMan
Level 1
Level 1

Restore default user prefs (icon/font size, etc)

Post by DealerMan »

I was experimenting with folder icon and font size last night, and messed it up just enough to want to restore everthing to its original state. I tried to fix it the way I messed it up, but doing that made changes to other areas that I surely didn't want. I found this terminal command that should do the trick:

gsettings reset-recursively org.cinnamon

Is this correct? Thanks in advance. 👍
Sir, do you have any symptoms? No? Stay away from me anyway. hehehehe
rene
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Restore default user prefs (icon/font size, etc)

Post by rene »

It's a fair attempt but depends on the settings you are wanting to reset in fact existing in that dconf database and if so under org.cinnamon. I'm afraid this is all a bit of a mess on Linux: that dconf database is a sort of "Windows registry" type of system that is used mostly by GNOME and hence to a degree by a Cinnamon, but as many or perhaps more settings will be kept in the form of e.g. discrete files under ~/.config or ~/.local or ~/.cinnamon or... and especially because the Linux desktop landscape is completely fragmented.

As in, sorry, but there's no one definitive, general answer here and even experienced users are unlikely to know specific answers unless having for some reason been-there-done-that themselves. But go ahead and try :)
DealerMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DealerMan »

10-4, I'll go ahead and give it a shot while I keep my eyes closed. :lol:
I appreciate the response!
DealerMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DealerMan »

I think it worked, but I'm a bit puzzled. After running the command and a logoff/login, it didn't look like it did anything. After hitting ctrl+ in one folder, it went from very tiny icons to regular size, and ctrl- in another folder took the jumbo icons to regular size. Text went to what looks like a default size as well. I may play around again with this just to see what other commands will fix from this link in my research:

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/w ... 28dconf%29

The link seems to point out some freeze/crash problems with a couple of those commands, but I'm willing to experiment for the benefit of others (but not today). :wink: