scrolling in gtk3

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

scrolling in gtk3

Post by kevin987 »

I'm having a problem with smooth scrolling using my left mouse button in xed text file editors in both Linux Mint 19.3 and 20.1 and I'm pretty sure it's related to gtk3.

I've already had to install a settings.ini file in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 with the following entry to allow for the left mouse button to scroll one page at a time:

Code: Select all

[Settings]
gtk-primary-button-warps-slider=0
After doing this in Linux Mint 17.3 a few years ago the text editor would smoothly scroll without briefly stopping on each page. It was pretty nice.

However, using 19.3 and 20.1 the scroll briefly stops on each page before continuing to the next page. It's creating a lurching effect which is not desirable. I can't find any settings in xed to recreate this smooth scrolling effect.

Is there some additional entry I could add which would give a more smooth scroll effect.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Re: scrolling in gtk3

Post by kevin987 »

The only way I have found to get the results with smooth scrolling with the mouse in a text editor is to install the Leafpad text editor.

Xed, Kate and Gedit currently do not provide smooth scrolling in Linux Mint 19.3 and 20.1

Hopefully somebody has an idea on how to fix that.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)

Return to “Cinnamon”