Switch to wayland?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Switch to wayland?

Post by pixel24 »

Hi@all,

I use LM 20.2 with Cinnamon Desktop and would like to test Wayland. Where can I switch this to test? On the web I only find hints for Ubuntu -> cogwheel in login manager.

with best
pixel24
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Switch to wayland?

Post by kc1di »

As far as I know there is no way at present to run wayland on Mint. So if you want to test it you'll have to try it on ubuntu, fedora or the distro that includes it.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
fblais
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fblais »

Debian with the Gnome DE also uses Wayland by default.
--
Ce message provient du Québec! :)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

There is a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to Wayland judging by a lot of questions and responses I see here on the forums. Wayland is not implemented at the distro level. It's done at the desktop environment level. Currently none of the DE's shipped by default with Mint (cinnamon, mate, xfce) support Wayland. You can however install gnome-shell and shell's Wayland session if you want to run that. But keep in mind that it will not work if you have Nvidia graphics. And it might be easier if you just want to test to install one of the distros mentioned above.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pixel24 »

I got the idea to test it when I read in an article (on Heise, German IT-News) that the nVIDIA driver v470... now supports Wayland.

By testing I meant: "I flip a switch in the system" ..... Apparently this is not the case. Then I wait until LM switches to Wayland.

Thanks for the info :-)
Kreative
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Kreative »

When I switched to Linux, back in 2017, I went with Fedora Design Suite that used GNOME 3 on F25... I quickly changed Wayland to Xorg if I wanted graphic software to work. So like a Waylon Jennings song... take this _ and shove it. Besides, I'm holding out for 'Willie', so I will have no more blue eyes crying in the rain; because of why doe it not work on Wayland :roll:

That's a Willie Nelson Joke if it went over anyone's head...

GNOME 3 was fun until they took away my desktop icons and shortcuts!

Return to “Cinnamon”