Different Backgrounds for Different Workspaces

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bruce Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Different Backgrounds for Different Workspaces

Post by Bruce Linux »

I am so happy I found Linux Mint. I have looked for days trying to find how to set different backgrounds for each workspace. I am running the latest versions Linux Mint Cinnamon, 20.2 Uma. I am dual booting on my 2018 Mac mini. I don't know if this matters or not but I installed the Ubuntu Budgie desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Different Backgrounds for Different Workspaces

Post by shedyed »

what window manager are you using? I happen to use e24, where I can do Settings>Wallpaper>Choose, but in there the last prompt is "This Desktop" or "All Desktops" which actually refer to the workspaces in question. Do you have a similar feature, I imagine they all have a similar function. Hitting the "Apply" button seals the deal.
Bruce Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce Linux »

Thank you for responding shedyed. I am not using a windows manager. Maybe that is part of my problem. I know how to do this on a Mac but it was built into the OS. What I would ultimately like to do is not only to have different wallpapers for different workspaces but to assign certain apps to certain workspaces. Does e24 allow that? It seems that there is another desktop manager program i3 that is very popular.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Bruce Linux wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:34 pm .... I am not using a windows manager. ...
Yes you are, it's part of the Cinnamon environment, it's called muffin, and like all window managers it's transparent to the user.

And it is NOT recommended that you replace the window manager in Cinnamon.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Bruce Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bruce Linux »

Thank you very much Hoser Rob. I want to avoid duplication of programs and junking up my install. I have wondered if installing the Ubuntu Budgie desktop was problematic.
dj1s
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]: Different Backgrounds for Different Workspaces

Post by dj1s »

I have a Solution to this post. See tutorial
[SOLVED] Different Backgrounds, Icons on Different Workspaces (LM20.x Cinn, Mate, XFCE)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=360221

My tutorial provides simple detailed instructions along with Bash scripts that quickly switches background and Desktop icons for each selected Workspace. Solution works for Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE.

Return to “Cinnamon”