"Desktop" in Nemo Places - how to get rid off?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
User-007
Level 2
Level 2

"Desktop" in Nemo Places - how to get rid off?

Post by User-007 »

Nemo's Desktop icon in bookmarks/Places seems not to be changeable (for me, it's stuck on default folder icon, theme HighContrast). Actually, the whole shortcut is useless, because if I want to go to desktop, I go to desktop. In those rare cases I really want to do some file management in Desktop folder, it's not a big job to jump to the folder from home.

So - how to get rid off the Desktop icon in Nemo bookmarks?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dvirberlo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: "Desktop" in Nemo Places - how to get rid off?

Post by dvirberlo »

Hi,
As far as I know- you can't.

If you want- you can file a feature request to relocate the Desktop tab to the general bookmarks.
https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/new

Sorry.
If your issue was solved please edit the title and add [SOLVED]. It can be very useful for others as well.
User-007
Level 2
Level 2

Post by User-007 »

Thanks for your reply.

Alternatively - how to change the icon of desktop bookmark? I have already changed the user-desktop.png in all /usr/share/icons/HighContrast/xx.xx/places folders. No success.

When the icon is unhideable - it still would be nice to set different icon from other folders in bookmarks.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

User-007 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:55 am Alternatively - how to change the icon of desktop bookmark?
You need to change Icons in the Settings' Themes applet using full icon theme. Or just download icons and extract them in the ~/.icons directory (create one if it does not exist). For example download
Mkos-Big-Sur
deepin plus all icon theme
-=t42=-
User-007
Level 2
Level 2

Post by User-007 »

Yes, I know how to theme the desktop.

I like the HighContrast icon theme, no need to change that. But what is the right icon file to edit?
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

User-007 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:23 am HighContrast icon theme, no need to change that. But what is the right icon file to edit?
/usr/share/icons/HighContrast
-=t42=-
User-007
Level 2
Level 2

Post by User-007 »

I have already changed the user-desktop.png in all /usr/share/icons/HighContrast/xx.xx/places folders. No success.

Whar is the right file to edit?
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

If you want to change Desktop sidebar icon in tree view, I think it's close to impossible, it's defined in properties as shown by gio info ~/Desktop
If you want to change Desktop sidebar icon in Places view editing icon is not enough, as further changes due in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css. The easiest solution is overwriting with full icons set as suggested above, as said not what you want.
-=t42=-
User-007
Level 2
Level 2

Post by User-007 »

Thanks for valuable information. I am not searching for the easiest way ;) What changes I have to do in the appropriate .css file? In fact, /usr/share/themes/HighContrast/gtk3.0/ has only gtk.css file, which includes only this:
/* HighContrast is now part of GTK+ 3, this file is no longer used */
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

User-007 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:49 am In fact, /usr/share/themes/HighContrast/gtk3.0/ has only gtk.css file, which includes only this:
/* HighContrast is now part of GTK+ 3, this file is no longer used */
As said it's still /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css for nemo. Sorry can't go further, hope you'll get some assistance or hack it on your own.
-=t42=-
User-007
Level 2
Level 2

Post by User-007 »

Ok, thanks @t42.

Actually I found a nice icon theme and I ended up to change it. Curiously, what is the reason the /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css has impact on HighContrast icon theme in Nemo but not on all themes? My recent icon theme uses own, simple and dedicated icon for "desktop" in Nemo places.

Return to “Cinnamon”