Linux Mint no longer recognizes the password

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martin123
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint no longer recognizes the password

Post by martin123 »

Hi All,

I wanted to access my PC as usual, but when I enter the password, the system does not take it into account. I can't access the desktop!

It goes back and re-displays the same access page to enter the password again!

The password I enter is correct, I did not forget it. Because, when I enter a wrong password, the error message appears "Invalid Password, Please Try again".

It's like the system is stuck. Although it recognizes the password, but it does not enter.

I am absolutely blocked, and I cannot access the desktop.

How can I get access again?

Or else, how to remove the password completely?

Thank You,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana / Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 / Kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic x86_64 / bits: 64 / CPU: Intel Core i3-4010U 1.7Ghz / RAM: 8Go
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint no longer recognizes the password

Post by smurphos »

See viewtopic.php?p=1769597#p1769597 for some initial troubleshooting steps. This is more than likely a full file system issue. Report back with the results and then folks can help from there.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Please open a terminal full screen and run the following command:

Code: Select all

lsblk -fi
Post the results in your reply.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Larry78723 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:20 am Please open a terminal full screen
If you are going to tell them this while they can't log in, it might be good to also tell them that they should boot up from a live medium before running the command.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

It was late and I was tired. Missed explaining that important point. :oops: :oops:
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
LittleScriptMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LittleScriptMan »

My first guess would be the same as the previous posters and as they explained everything well, I have nothing to add to that possibility.

However should it be a real password problem, the two files managing the passwords on a Linux system are :
- /etc/passwd which manages the translation of user accounts and system accounts to the universal identifiers (UID) that are the core of the system security (Linux does not know users by their names / aliases, but by an UID)
- /etc/shadow which contains an encrypted version of the passwords.
If those files are corrupted, even the root user may not be able to connect and the only possibility would be to restore them from a safe backup or a Timeshift snapshot.
Obviously you will also need to boot from a live medium in this case.

PS : I'm always surprised how few people think to back these two files up, especially when not using Timeshift or similar.
Interests : Firefox, Cinnamon & Bash Scripts
LM Version : LMDE5 (LMDE4 just in case)
martin123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martin123 »

Hi @smurphos

It was not <ctrl><alt><F1> as mentioned in the topic link.

It was <F2> instead, I entered the login "username" and password, I get a message saying "Login is incorrect"! The admin password is a correct one.

(notice that the password doesn't show while typing it)

Is there any other password set up, like a root password ?

Please, how to access to desktop?

--------

I also removed the hard drive and had it explored in a Live DVD. None of my files are showing! The "Home/user" file seems to be completely empty!

Is it because, the "Home" directory was encrypted? I don't remember set up encryption while installing.
Last edited by martin123 on Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana / Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 / Kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic x86_64 / bits: 64 / CPU: Intel Core i3-4010U 1.7Ghz / RAM: 8Go
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Please boot from your installation media (USB/DVD) and open a terminal full screen, then run the following command:

lsblk -fi
Post the results in your reply.
martin123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martin123 »

Here is the output of "lsblk -fi" from Live dvd:

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

mint@mint:~$ lsblk -fi
NAME   FSTYPE   LABEL                         UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
loop0  squashfs                                                                          0   100% /rofs
sda                                                                                               
|-sda1 vfat                                   61A6-EEE1                                           
`-sda2 ext4                                   d2127663-4b72-453c-8ee2-4ca023e3f2b0                
sr0    iso9660  Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 64-bit 2020-06-24-19-01-47-00                     0   100% /cdrom
mint@mint:~$ 
That's the only result I can get. Because I can't access my PC to access his terminal.
Last edited by martin123 on Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
martin123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martin123 »

As I explained earlier, I removed the hard drive and had it explored in a Linux Live DVD. None of my files are found!

The "Home/user" file is completely empty!

What is the cause of this, is it the encryption of the home files?

If it is encryption, how can I remove it?

Your help is highly appreciated. I want to recover my work files that are on the disk.

Return to “Cinnamon”