Back to Cinnamon login / lock screen (with Plasma)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rodfartam
Level 1
Level 1

Back to Cinnamon login / lock screen (with Plasma)

Post by rodfartam »

I originally installed the linux-mint version with Cinnamon as the desktop environment. I subsequently installed Plasma and decided to keep it, (since I feel it handles my multi-monitor setup better).

However, I would like to keep Cinnamon's login and lock screens. It is a subjective preference, I like the fact that it is not necessary to click before typing the password.

How can I restore these Cinnamon's screens and still use Plasma?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Back to Cinnamon login / lock screen (with Plasma)

Post by Hoser Rob »

Installing multiple desktops is a bucket of worms, I don't know of any really knowledgeable user who would do it.

If you want to keep using KDE (my daily driver runs MX 21 KDE so I don't blame you), you should use a distro that actually supports KDE.

I think MX KDE is fantastic but it's Debian Stable based so you get older software versions than with Ubuntu based Mint.

This doesn't bother me ... I'll happily trade newer software for more stability ... but if you want to stick to the Ubuntu base I'd suggest Neon or Kubuntu.

And yes, KDE does handle dual monitors better than anything else I've tried. USB DACs too ... :wink:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

KDE might not like that. I think the application that handles the lock screen is called "cinnamon-screensaver", it'll still be installed, but not sure how to tell KDE to use that.

But that's the application name anyway, so maybe that points you in somewhat the right direction.
rodfartam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rodfartam »

Thanks to both, I will consider your suggestions.

In any case, Plasma is perfectly integrated into Linux Mint and I will not use another distro.

Return to “Cinnamon”