Desktop files & previews

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BleysOfShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop files & previews

Post by BleysOfShadows »

I have a few files stored on my Desktop. Most of the time I am able to see a "preview" of the file as the icon, such as an image file will be viewed as the actual image. On occasion, after a shutdown or reboot, the "preview" chamges to what I would term default icons. Apologies if my terminology is not correct. I have two screen captures showing the differences but am not sure how to include these with this post.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Desktop files & previews

Post by Termy »

Do those previews eventually come back if you wait a moment? If so, it's probably the thumbnail cache ('~/.cache/thumbnails') being erased after every reboot or relog.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I have two screen captures showing the differences but am not sure how to include these with this post.
Two ways, dependent on the size of the picture files.

1. Chose n image hosting site (like Imgur) & upload the files. The site will offer you a 'use in BB' (or similar wording) option that contains a URL. Just paste them back into your next post.

2. If the file(s) are small then you can upload them directly into your post by going to the bottom of your post reply & clicking on the Attachments Tab & then selecting Add Files. That will allow you to navigate to the pictures on your computer..
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I upload them to this site; it's both convenient and inconvenient. It's the former, because I don't have to faff about with or put faith in a random image sharing website. It's the latter, because this message board is aggressively and unnecessarily strict about file names, while also greatly (but understandably) strict on the file sizes and possibly resolutions. I have a function for this in my '~/.bash_functions' file which does it all for me.

I was gonna go into more detail, but I wasn't sure anyone would especially care, because it involves the terminal. :lol:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
BleysOfShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BleysOfShadows »

Termy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:28 pm Do those previews eventually come back if you wait a moment? If so, it's probably the thumbnail cache ('~/.cache/thumbnails') being erased after every reboot or relog.
Thanks......They do come back, eventually. But today when I opened an image saved to the desktop with an image editor, all the desktop file images (icons) changed back to the "default" view. If, after this happens, when I open the saved file with the default viewer nothing changes back. A little frustrating but it's not the end of the world LOL.

Return to “Cinnamon”