[SOLVED] LM21 - missing border on gnome-terminal

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrcorex
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] LM21 - missing border on gnome-terminal

Post by mrcorex »

Hey guys.

Thanks for Linux Mint. :D I love it and use it as my daily driver private and at work.

After using Linux Mint 21 (clean install) I have a problem which I need to solve somehow.

I am a developer and spend quite some time in consoles. Since you guys removed the Metacity option in themes, I have a problem with borders. I am not complaning. :) In fact, I think it was the right choice to "move forward" with themes. However, I was using a theme, based on Mint-Y-Dark-Blue and modified a bit. Simply put, I added a very thin border to gnome-terminal. It is currently very hard to separate two overlapping gnome-terminals. The border helped a lot.

Before someone reply that I need to create/modify theme - well, that would be the obvius answer. But I dont know how.

How can I modify a theme to add a border to gnome-terminal - and only gnome-terminal?

Does there exist a tool that report back what I need to modify in css?
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LM21 - missing border on gnome-terminal

Post by JosephM »

I don't think what you want to do is possible. Muffin only loads one theme at time. So you can't have two separate themes. One for gnome-terminal and a different one for other applications. Mint-Y has a thin 1px border by default. Maybe your other theme just needs some updating to work properly with the way things work now?
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
mrcorex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrcorex »

I have "parked" my own theme for now. Then I copied the /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Blue/ to ~/.themes/MyTheme/ and wants to modify it.

I have seen examples of modifying css for gnome-terminal by adding a file "{theme}/gtk-3.0/apps/gnome-terminal.css". But I dont know what is required for it to work. I also try to modify gtk-3.0/gtk.css but with no luck either. I guess I am not a designer :D.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

mrcorex wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:05 pm It is currently very hard to separate two overlapping gnome-terminals.
You may create second profile with slightly different terminal text and background colors. Profiles are switched by right-click -->Profiles.
30-35.png
30-35.png (8.05 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
After opening second terminal instance just switch its profile.
Last edited by t42 on Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-
Axel358
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Axel358 »

U can specify the theme to launch an application with using the GTK_THEME variable, like GTK_THEME=Mint-Y app
cfb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cfb »

Create file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css containing this:

Code: Select all

decoration {
  border: 1px solid gray;
  background: gray;
}
Then logout/login and all (?) windows will have a 1 px gray border.
This is not exactly what you wanted and may be "not-so-nice" if you are using a dark theme.
You could try it.
It is easy to revert by simply deleting the file.
cfb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cfb »

Another way to deal with this issue might be to simply change the terminal background color.
I suppose you are used to a black (#000000) background. Simply changing the background color to #101010 will be enough to let you see the border of one window against another window because of the window "shadow".
Changing the background color can be done via Preferences for the current profile.
Using the built-in terminal scheme "Tango" could also work, though its background is more gray than black.
mrcorex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrcorex »

My Linux Mint is scripted, so it would be easy for me 2 incorporate the "~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css" file. This will be a good approach until I find a better theme.

Thanks guys for information. :)

Return to “Cinnamon”