Panel Issue With Cinnamon 21

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lezz
Level 1
Level 1

Panel Issue With Cinnamon 21

Post by lezz »

I am dealing with a strange panel issue on Linux Mint 21 fresh install.

I have a dual monitor and I have setup separate panel for each monitor. My primary panel is on monitor one and secondary panel is on monitor 2. Both the panels have their own set of icons pinned to it. Everything works great until the system locks itself due to idle time. When I unlock it, the second panel will show me the icons of the first panel and there is no way for me to remove it. The only way I can get it to working the way I want is to remove the panel from the second screen and then add it back. This wasn't the case with previous version of Linux Mint and I am only facing this with Linux Mint 21.

If someone can help me figure out how to tackle this issue, it will be appreciated.

Thanks and have a nice day.
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Panel Issue With Cinnamon 21

Post by Cosmo. »

Did you try the panel edit mode, when you tried to replace the wrongly set panel?

Can you try to reproduce the problem in a freshly created test account?
(I do not have multiple monitors, so I cannot redo the problem.)
lezz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lezz »

Yeah I tried the edit mode and it didn't help. Since the icons are identical on both the panels, turning on edit mode and moving them from secondary to primary panel create duplicate entries of the panel icons on the primary panel.

I will create a test account and will come back with my findings.
lezz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lezz »

So I created a new account and tested it. After the screen timeout, when I unlocked the system, all the icons which were opened on my primary monitor appeared on my secondary monitor's panel.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

So you know, that there is nothing, what you can do about it. The problem is in the system / code.

BTW, for the case that you need to do a similar test again: You do not need to wait for locking. Simply pressing Ctrl-Alt-L does the same. The alternative would be to reduce the time for automatic locking in the settings, 1 minute is the minimum.
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

@lezz, do you need locking? For I do not. I just use screensaver. I also have no 2nd monitor so I can't check it. However, it could be a solution to avoid changing of 2nd panel icons.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
lezz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lezz »

Thank guys for your inputs.

So far this is what I found. If I only use screensaver without the power option to "turn off the screen when being inactive", the panel doesn't mess up. As soon as the option to "turn off the screen when inactive for" is enabled I run into the reported issue. So something is messed up somewhere that's causing this issue. Nevertheless as a workaround I will disable the turn off option for the screen due to inactivity and will only use the screensaver.

Let's hope someone will address this in the near future....hopefully :) .

Thanks again.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

lezz wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:39 am Let's hope someone will address this in the near future....hopefully :) .
Probably nobody will address it, unless we report it to the devs. They are probably not aware of the issue. Especially if it's a multiple display related issue, which is rare and difficult to test for most people. Report here: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues Mint devs are usually quick to respond. I reported around 15 bugs in the last month and almost all of them got fixed.
Canuck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Canuck »

In the meantime, I found that resetting which is your primary screen fixes the issue.

I've written a quick bash script to do it, but it can also be done through the Display app.

#!/bin/bash

xrandr --output HDMI-2 --primary #setting my secondary monitor to become primary
xrandr --output HDMI-3 --primary #resetting primary monitor

Return to “Cinnamon”