After I rebooted one of my Mint PCs today (which has a fairly up-to-date Mint 21 Cinnamon), it went haywire, in that all of the following started happening.
- My wallpaper did not appear under my Conky or underneath my dock (Plank).
- Keyboard focus malfunctions: sometimes, to type into a window, I have to close other windows that are behind it.
- Keyboard shortcuts do not work.
- The power menu, within the main Mint menu, does not appear when clicked.
- Windows have no title bars.
EDIT: oh, any my top panel had been obliterated and there was panel misbehaviour when I re-created it (though panel glitches may not be new).
I tried restoring
/via Timeshift, and even went a week - no dice.
I tried restoring (from a backup) various directories under ~/.cinnamon/.config - no dice, at least not so far. (See below.)
What does work - as a workaround - is re-starting Cinnamon; upon doing that, all goes back to normal, until the next reboot.
I have yet to see what happens with a different user account. (At present I've restored my oldest Timeshift backup, and right now I am running
I am unsure what if anything I've done to cause all this. I did remove some packages within the last few days, but I think my Timeshift restores would have undone those removals.
I haven't managed to spot anything relevant in any logs yet.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Any idea of the fix? Thanks.