(Solved) Workspace-Switcher display in LM21

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
otadmin
Level 2
Level 2

(Solved) Workspace-Switcher display in LM21

Post by otadmin »

I have a MacBook Air 2013 and an external monitor attached. Just did a fresh install of LM21. Enabled the "Workspace-switcher Applet". Selected Type of display "A visual representation of the workspaces".

Opened software on the notebook display is shown in the specific workspace. But software on the external monitor is shown on all workspaces at once.

This behavior was different in LM20.3 where each workspace displayed different software. How/where can I change the settings?
Last edited by otadmin on Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Workspace-Switcher display in LM21

Post by Cosmo. »

otadmin wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:10 am
Opened software on the notebook display is shown in the specific workspace. But software on the external monitor is shown on all workspaces at once.
Please show this in a screenshot.
Gotcha!
otadmin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otadmin »

Screenshot from 2022-09-29 14-17-39.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-29 14-17-39.png (11.27 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Attached screenshot. You can see the 5 workspaces. The large white rectangle is Firefox on the attached monitor showing on all 5 workspaces. On three of the workspaces small recangles represent Filemanager, Thunderbird and LibreOffice writer on the main monitor only been shown in one workspace.
rossdv8
Level 6
Level 6
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

On a Mac, and in Cinnamon, do you have the option to do the equivalent of a Right Click on a Title Bar, to get a Context menu on Firefox, in the 'Attached' Monitor?
If you do, are there options for something like [x] Always on Visible Workspace and [ ] Only on This Workspace ?
If the wrong one there is checked - that might cause this sort of behaviour. I seem to recall something similar happening when I used multiple physical monitors on one of the Linux distros not too long ago, and it took a weird accidental find something like that to get rid of it.
I just can't remember if it was a context menu thing or display settings or something.
Whatever it was on a real computer is probably different on a Mac - but might it be worth thinking along those lines ??
Current main OS: MInt 21 'Vanessa' Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM.
You can get by on Charm for about 15 minutes
otadmin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otadmin »

Thanks rossdv. I do have the right-click menu but Firefox was only a example. When I pull the File-Manager from the main screen to the external monitor it also starts to show on all workspaces. Happens with all programs.
As with you, I seem to remember having changed some settings before but forgot what it was.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open Users & Groups and create a new account for testing. Reboot and log into the new account. How does it appear there?
Gotcha!
otadmin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otadmin »

Did as you instructed me. And to my surprise in the new testing account workspace-switcher functions as used to.
Back in the original account I removed workspace-switcher, then enabled it again and the faulty behavior is back. What is causing this?
Changing permanently to a new account could be one solution. Otherwise there is another Applet "Workspace-grid" which can be downloaded. But would prefer to repair my original account and not have to set up things again.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Try this:

Remove the applet from the panel.
Now open the file manager, make hidden files visible (ctrl-h) and go in your home into the folder .cinnamon and there in the subfolder configs.
Delete there the folder workspace-switcher@cinnamon.org.
Restart Cinnamon (ctrl-alt-esc).
Put the applet back to the panel.
Gotcha!
otadmin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otadmin »

Cosmo, did as you said but with no changes. In the folder "workspace-switcher@cinnamon.org" is only one .json file. Compared it with the temporary users file - it is the same. Created another admin user-profile, workspace-switcher displays ok. Only the original profile is weird.
cfb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cfb »

Just a shot in the dark:
In Menu -> Workspaces there is a setting named "Only use workspaces on primary monitor".
Could it have any effect?
I do not have an extra monitor available, so cannot check.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It would had been nice, if it had been so simple. So we must dig deeper:

For investigating the culprit in your main account:

Open the file manager and make hidden files visible (ctrl-h).

#1 Delete the hidden folder .cache. Log out and back in and check.

The folder gets automatically recreated.

#2 If this does not help rename the folder .config to .config.renamed. Log out / in.
Very most of your settings will get lost, but you can get them back, by renaming to the original name.

Also here a new folder with default content gets created. If you later want to get back, delete this folder and rename the original folder back. Out / In.

#3 The same as #2 with .local.
Gotcha!
otadmin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: (Solved) Workspace-Switcher display in LM21

Post by otadmin »

Thanks everybody. The solution was Menu -> Workspaces -> Only use workspaces on primary monitor. Disabled this option, restarted Cinnamon and its ok now.
rossdv8
Level 6
Level 6
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I thought you might find it somewhere like that if it wasn't in the context menu. Similar wording - just a different place :-)
That will make life easier.
I hate when something is so simple, but obvious once it is found. Oddly, in Mint Xfce in Linux, it is still in the context menu on the Title bar, but it is NOT in Menu > Workspaces.

I wonder if that's an Xfce thing, and whether Mint Mate and Cinnamon have it in the Menu > Workspaces like Mac?
Current main OS: MInt 21 'Vanessa' Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM.
You can get by on Charm for about 15 minutes
otadmin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by otadmin »

Forgot to mention that I am on Cinnamon. The settings for the Workspace-switcher-Applet are indeed on different places.
  • Right click on the bottom panel -> Applets
    Right click on the Workspace-switcher
    Menu - Preferences - Applets
    Menu - Preferences - Workspace-Switcher
Sure there is a reason for this, but can be a bit confusing for a user like me :wink: . But overall this is a very useful applet and this was the first time I had a problem with it. Maybe I inadvertently changed the setting during install.

Return to “Cinnamon”