Any theme with prominent active window titlebar?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Dan-cer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Any theme with prominent active window titlebar?

Post by Dan-cer »

Cosmo. wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:24 pm
I did not write about the titlebar, but the partially unreadable text in xed in the given example.
Oh I see. However, I can't understand it. Could you give a screenshot of the "culprit"?
This is my gtk.css from that theme in xed:
xed.jpg
Cinnamon 20.3 on Dell Optiplex 3060 with Dual boot Win 10, Cinnamon 21.0 on Thinkpad T430 i7 dualcore, Vivaldi Browser with inbuilt email client M3
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

O-rion wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:20 pm
Cosmo. wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:22 pm
With which intention do such colors get set?
Everything has to look "modern" nowadays. Those who create these themes are probably young, fit and healthy. They can't imagine what it means to have poor vision or other diabilities. They don't even listen to those who tell them.
Yes I often wonder about those colours as well. It would be so helpful to have at least one "old fashioned" theme. With menu bars, status bars, wide enough borders to be grabbed even with an unsteady hand, buttons that you can see and grab ( not only 6px wide), shadows to give some orientation ....
Superior to the digital world is the real world. And the real world is full of colors. We live daily with them. We get many important information by them (example: traffic light). For movies the introduction of color in the middle of the last century was an important step. No movie company would survive, if they would create their movies all grey in grey. In the middle of the sixties in many countries the color for tv has been introduced and I do not find new productions without color. Those, who find this sad appearance as something great, have somehow lost the relationship to reality. That those theming catastrophes get announced with big words is the confirmation of the loss of any realistic view to the own work.
Gotcha!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Dan-cer, I could give a screenshot, but you did it already yourself. It does not look differently here. Perhaps (probably) you are younger than I. My problem is, that I can hardly read the first line; as I said already: very dark blue on nearly black. Eye poison. I would expect, that even younger people can read the lower lines with green or white text more easily. The red text is again troublesome for me.
Gotcha!
Dan-cer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dan-cer »

So I misunderstood you, Cosmo. Sorry.
Unfortunately there is no option to modify certain font-colors in xed unlike other file managers.
Cinnamon 20.3 on Dell Optiplex 3060 with Dual boot Win 10, Cinnamon 21.0 on Thinkpad T430 i7 dualcore, Vivaldi Browser with inbuilt email client M3
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I thought so and so I removed it again. Grey in grey titlebars are a pain, but unreadable text is the death of a theme. (I did not yet find a way to train my dog to read it for me. :shock: )
Gotcha!
tonywhelan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonywhelan »

O-rion wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:20 pm
It would be so helpful to have at least one "old fashioned" theme. With menu bars, status bars, wide enough borders to be grabbed even with an unsteady hand, buttons that you can see and grab ( not only 6px wide), shadows to give some orientation ....
Currently on LM20.3 Cinnamon, I am using smurphos' Very Big Buttons window border theme, but its a metacity theme so won't work on LM21.
So I won't update to LM21 Cinnamon.

I feel the Minimise/Maximise/Close buttons on each window should be capable of being set to 50-100% larger. I was once advised to use the Accessibility dialog in Preferences. That does absolutely nothing to address the window button sizes, or any of the other issues mentioned in this thread. Made me realise that the dev concerned had probably never even looked at the Accessibility feature.
100% Linux Mint household
Mine: LM21 Cinnamon, partner's: LM19.3 Cinnamon
billyswong
Level 4
Level 4

Post by billyswong »

Cosmo. wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:43 pm
Dan-cer, I could give a screenshot, but you did it already yourself. It does not look differently here. Perhaps (probably) you are younger than I. My problem is, that I can hardly read the first line; as I said already: very dark blue on nearly black. Eye poison. I would expect, that even younger people can read the lower lines with green or white text more easily. The red text is again troublesome for me.
Inside Xed, there is Edit > Preferences > Theme. Choose another style scheme. There should be some white background choices that coloured highlight actually function as highlight.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Of course I could do that. But what is the sense in using a theme, which forces me to select later - and again and again - another style scheme? There are better ways for entertaining me. I do not select a theme for the purpose, to fill my boring days with scheme selection. :mrgreen:
Gotcha!
billyswong
Level 4
Level 4

Post by billyswong »

I thought we only need to select once? I don't get your "again and again" part.

I am running Mint-Y theme + all text enlarged to 12pt font in LM21 Mate right now. The visual cue of active/inactive window is indeed very limited but I bear with it as there are no themes that look similar to Mint-Y but just with the active titlebar background color highlighted/darkened. I just get accustomed to give an extra click to text field to be typing into whenever I forget what was being focused before. My dynamic eyesight is still good enough to spot if keystrokes got registered into a wrong window or wrong text field. (Not sure about 20 or 30 years later.)
cfb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cfb »

A very simple change that improves the difference between active/inactive window title bar in LM 21 Cinnamon:

Open Menu -> Themes -> Themes Page, then under Applications select "Adwaita".

Note: Only tried this with a light theme. I am not fond of dark themes.

Edit:
Also note that changing the application theme changes a number of things, not just the tiitle bar.
Luckily, it is easy to revert if you don't like the changes.
Axel358
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Axel358 »

The Matcha family of themes provide a dark titlebar in the default variant
rickNS
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rickNS »

EDIT, I see that idea was not liked.
Mint 19.0, 20.0, and 21 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
amc6010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amc6010 »

For what it's worth, I've created a CSS file which integrates with Mint-Y themes and uses the main application theme colour as the colour for the active window title bar. It's also straight-forward to modify if you want to change the colours for the active or inactive window.

It's largely inspired by the OneColor Metacity theme which I was previously using. And it looks like this:

You can find the file here: https://github.com/the-allanc/minty-color-titles/
tonywhelan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonywhelan »

amc6010 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:04 pm
For what it's worth, I've created a CSS file which integrates with Mint-Y themes and uses the main application theme colour as the colour for the active window title bar. It's also straight-forward to modify if you want to change the colours for the active or inactive window.
Works well on my LM21 test build. That's massively useful, thank you very much.
Now once I can figure out how to make the window buttons larger, I may be ready to move my "real" machine to LM21.
amc6010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amc6010 »

Now once I can figure out how to make the window buttons larger, I may be ready to move my "real" machine to LM21.
The screen capture I posted has bolder icons which are from the Adwaita theme - it also has a larger header height which I prefer. Since I was messing around with the CSS for the buttons, I'll see if I can figure out how to increase the size of them.
tonywhelan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonywhelan »

amc6010 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:42 pm
The screen capture I posted has bolder icons which are from the Adwaita theme - it also has a larger header height which I prefer. Since I was messing around with the CSS for the buttons, I'll see if I can figure out how to increase the size of them.
Thank you. I find the theme css files overwhelming in complexity.
amc6010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amc6010 »

Thank you. I find the theme css files overwhelming in complexity.
No worries - check out the newest version of the CSS file; there's a section at the end which is commented out that will double the size of the icons. Just uncomment that, and tweak the values if necessary.
tonywhelan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonywhelan »

amc6010 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 pm
No worries - check out the newest version of the CSS file; there's a section at the end which is commented out that will double the size of the icons. Just uncomment that, and tweak the values if necessary.
That's wonderful, thank you very much. I set the icons to 1.5 times size which seems adequate for me. This appears to work on most apps. Only one I noticed that didn't adjust was the screenshot app, I can live with that.

When I finish evaluating LM21 on my test PC, your css file should push me over the line to upgrade my main machine and laptop.
amc6010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amc6010 »

tonywhelan wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:37 pm
amc6010 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:20 pm
That's wonderful, thank you very much. I set the icons to 1.5 times size which seems adequate for me. This appears to work on most apps. Only one I noticed that didn't adjust was the screenshot app, I can live with that.

When I finish evaluating LM21 on my test PC, your css file should push me over the line to upgrade my main machine and laptop.
Try the latest version that I've just uploaded - the icons are set to x1.5 size (I agree that's better), and CSD applications like Calculator, Archive Manager and the Screenshot tool should also have bigger icons if enabled - and will also use the correct colour theme for all of the buttons.
tonywhelan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tonywhelan »

amc6010 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:01 pm
Try the latest version that I've just uploaded - the icons are set to x1.5 size (I agree that's better), and CSD applications like Calculator, Archive Manager and the Screenshot tool should also have bigger icons if enabled - and will also use the correct colour theme for all of the buttons.
amc6010, thank you for this. Its looking pretty good for me. I notice that in Screenshot, Calculator, Archive Manager and Document Scanner that the background square is larger but the actual icon (eg the cross on the close button) is not larger. I assume that's because those apps use their own icon code (is that what CSD infers?). I don't see it as a problem for me. Overall, the coloured headerbar is a big win, and the bigger button areas make things more comfortable for me.

I will continue to play with the system today in between weeding the garden bed that has been over-run by violets, who knew they had such deep and dense roots?

cheers

Return to “Cinnamon”