Human "field guides" for getting at specific bugs?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Molgaard
Level 1
Level 1

Human "field guides" for getting at specific bugs?

Post by Molgaard »

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/302 precludes me from using cinnamon at all on my home system.

I use cinnamon at work and love it (except for what I say in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=99795 ).

First of all, I'd like for the bug to be resolved, and secondly, for my requests to be implemented, but I am fully aware that I cannot make demands.

I do happen to know my way around coding to some extent, but whereas the obvious solution, then, would be to fix the bug and implement my request myself, my spare time is limited.

Thus, it would seem that the most time-efficient solution would be for a knowledgeable developer to say "look at his file for solving the bug and at this (/these) for the request. Good luck, and hope to hear from you".

This is a request for that specific guidance.

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard

dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Human "field guides" for getting at specific bugs?

Post by dalcde »

Normally a bug like that would be fixed rather quickly (I believe), but in this case, it isn't that easy since not much of us have dual monitor setups, so it's difficult to debug. I'll try to work on that if I have time, but I'll have to somehow setup a dual monitor at home.

Molgaard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Molgaard »

Hi there,

Thank you for answering! If you deem it practical, I shall happily build and test any patches that you might come up with in the meantime :-)

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

dalcde wrote:it isn't that easy since not much of us have dual monitor setups,

FYI

a HUGE amount of PC people in general have multiple monitors and many have eyefintiy or nvidia 3d vision multiple monitor setups too. By now every linux distro should easily cater for multiple monitors, extended desktops, mixed resolutions, mirrored desktops etc.. like windows has been able to do for many years :)

thanks

dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dalcde »

I'm saying that many DEVELOPERS probably do not have dual monitor setups, which leads to these bugs not solved.

wei2912
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wei2912 »

dalcde wrote:I'm saying that many DEVELOPERS probably do not have dual monitor setups, which leads to these bugs not solved.
They probably only require single monitor setups. Its hard to read your code across a high definition monitor, let alone 2 of them.

Molgaard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Molgaard »

Seeing another thread regarding this, I suggest that we offer ourselves up as testers instead of yammering, possibly making this thread populated by enough testers for it to be a reasonable expectation for the developers that possible, untested, patches will be tested quickly by at least one person.

I made that offer, but I can imagine it to be a study in frustration to make a quick attempt, and then possibly waiting around for a day or more before it can be tested. With enough testers, that drawback should diminish quickly...

OnoSendi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OnoSendi »

Hmm. As I am a developer, I would never sit down and start writing code on a single monitor. However, I've been spoiled with with 1+ displays for years.

standev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by standev »

I have a dual screen setup, and I have http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 42#p594942 problems using it with Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, so I could help testing the fix/patch to these issues too.

Return to “Cinnamon”