Can not change any settings of Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
.William.
Level 3
Level 3

Can not change any settings of Cinnamon

Post by .William. »

I have just installed LM 13 Cinnamon a few day's ago.
Over all, I am happy with Cinnamon as a desktop manager.
Ofcourse with a new application there will be problems, and I hope these will be solved.

My biggest problem is that I can not change any settings in Cinnamon.
I tried to change the panel to the traditional panel settings, with two panels, one above and one below in my screen. Even after rebooting no two panels in my screen. Also any other change of settings will not take effect, not even after rebooting.

Also, any newly installed applets and extensions, although showing up in the lists, won't appear after checking them. (including not appearing after reboot)

Adding new applets or extensions has to be done through Internet downloads and Terminal commands:
This is not how it should be with a Mint application (imo). Mint should be a good alternative for Windows users and Having to add repositories in Terminal and the complex method needed to install downloaded applets or extensions are not in line with the pretensions for Mint. Rather there should be Deb executables that you can easily install. Also I'd like there to be a pack with all applets. Ofcourse installation through software-manager of Synaptic takes preference over all other methods.

I really hope Cinnamon will continue on it's development and become a reliable but also flexible desktop manager.
________________________________________________________________________________
My (Dutch language) webpage with 22 reasons for moving to Linux: http://readfirst.weebly.com/

Code: Select all

Ne Jupiter quidem omnibus placet
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can not change any settings of Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

.William. wrote:Adding new applets or extensions has to be done through Internet downloads and Terminal commands:
Not really, you can install A LOT of themes, applets and extensions just adding Bimsebasse's ppa to your repositories list: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=98316
.William. wrote:This is not how it should be with a Mint application (imo).
You can add Bimsebasse's ppa through Synaptic without having to open a terminal (not even once) nor downloading anything.
.William. wrote: Mint should be a good alternative for Windows users and Having to add repositories in Terminal and the complex method needed to install downloaded applets or extensions are not in line with the pretensions for Mint.
Where did you read that the purpose of Mint is to be a "good alternative for Windows users"?
Linux Mint was not created to be an "alternative for Windows users", simply because it's Linux and Linux never pretended to be Windows: http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
.William.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by .William. »

Hey, you don't need to get violent with me ! Stand down soldier ! :roll:

Before trying to read me you could at least attempt to get into my biggest issues instead of only going into the wider opinions I express. As a many years long active contributor to the Open Source software community I feel I deserve some common courtesy. (at least in my own threads)

None of your replies help me solve the problems of not being able to change any settings or using new applets and extensions in Cinnamon.

The fact there is some thread on the Linux Mint Forums that lists PPA's doesn't help people that aren't member of the forums. Linux Mint should work out of the box, including it's desktop managers. When entering the word Cinnamon in Synaptic, which I did, I got no result for this PPA you're talking about. As for Mint being user friendly for people that used to use Windows, you should read up on other threads created over time. Use the magic for that. Linux Mint always said it wants to be easily accessible to anyone. Having to use complex (to most 'normal' people) commands all the time is one of the reasons most people stay away from Linux.
________________________________________________________________________________
My (Dutch language) webpage with 22 reasons for moving to Linux: http://readfirst.weebly.com/

Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

.William. wrote:
The fact there is some thread on the Linux Mint Forums that lists PPA's doesn't help people that aren't member of the forums.
This is true and even some Linux users will have no clue what a PPA even is.
Linux Mint should work out of the box, including it's desktop managers.
Agreed..When I first started with Linux,I chose Linspire cause it touted it was the world's easiest Linux and at the time,it was.
As for Mint being user friendly for people that used to use Windows, you should read up on other threads created over time. Linux Mint always said it wants to be easily accessible to anyone. Having to use complex (to most 'normal' people) commands all the time is one of the reasons most people stay away from Linux.
Well put,and so true. People coming from Windows don't have a clue.Some people do have a clue,but have no more interest in doing the geeky Linux stuff than you do in repairing your car.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
betchern0t
Level 1
Level 1

Post by betchern0t »

Hi,
this is a really stupid question so please don't flame me :oops: but are you really sure you are running cinnamon?. I am seeing this exact behaviour. I select cinnamon in the session before login and instead of cinnamon I get gnome classic. Not having seen either cinnamon or gnome classic - in the mint 13 style - before I assumed it was cinnamon and it took a while to figure out it wasn't.

In the menu I have a working cinnamon settings app that does change some things but not others. I only twigged after doing a replace "cinnamon --replace" and things changed drastically and a lot of the changes I had made suddenly appeared.

hth

Paul
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

.William. wrote:Linux Mint should work out of the box, including it's desktop managers. When entering the word Cinnamon in Synaptic, which I did, I got no result for this PPA you're talking about. As for Mint being user friendly for people that used to use Windows, you should read up on other threads created over time. Use the magic for that. Linux Mint always said it wants to be easily accessible to anyone. Having to use complex (to most 'normal' people) commands all the time is one of the reasons most people stay away from Linux.
The fact is, Cinnamon is a very new and still heavily developed upon environment: this means that it is not as stable as other (older) Desktop Environments such as Gnome 2.x (now MATE) or KDE. This means that you may experience some instability and/or resort to typical development tools such as non-standard software repositories (PPAs), command line stuff etc. to get the best of it.

That said, Cinnamon works out of the box a good 90% of the times: this is the first time I read about a problem like yours, i.e. Cinnamon not enforcing its own settings. Can you give us some more details? I.e., are you using Cinnamon Preferences? moreover, I'm not sure I've understood what the problem is with applets and extensions.

Rehdon
.William.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by .William. »

A bit of good debating never hurt anyone.

That being said...

I tried to change the settings using the Cinnamon application accessible from the Mint menu (System Tools > Preferences > Cinnamon Settings). I will reboot to try the suggestion done above that my Mint may be just booting into the Gnome Classic desktop manager. Ofcourse that does mean that numbers of people are going to hate Cinnamon for the aforementioned problems while in fact they are NOT using Cinnamon at all. If you make any choice for any specific reason and by mistake you are confronted with something different that you can not identify as such you are (most likely) going to be disappointed. That is if the difference is not clear to you.

When I upgraded to LM Cinnamon I expected Cinnamon to be the default desktop manager. I do not remember there to be a specific warning on the LM website for Cinnamon being a Beta application. If I want to be part of a Beta testing program I like there to be a clear warning. On the LM blog it said:
"The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 13 “Maya”.

Available in two editions, Linux Mint 13 features the choice between a productive, stable and mature MATE 1.2 desktop and the brand new modern-looking and exciting Cinnamon 1.4. These two desktops are among the best available, they’re perfectly integrated within Linux Mint and represent great alternatives to Gnome 2 users."
Ofcourse if you dig far enough you'll find some kind of warning somewhere. I expect any warning to be clearly placed on the announcement page or the download page. The word 'Beta' serves a clear purpose in the software world and should not be covered up with phrases like 'exiting' or the like. I feel I may say that being part of software development myself. Honesty will last longest anytime, anywhere.

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

.William. wrote:I do not remember there to be a specific warning on the LM website for Cinnamon being a Beta application. If I want to be part of a Beta testing program I like there to be a clear warning. [...] The word 'Beta' serves a clear purpose in the software world and should not be covered up with phrases like 'exiting' or the like. I feel I may say that being part of software development myself. Honesty will last longest anytime, anywhere.
The word 'Beta' is not used on the LM website for Cinnamon because Cinnamon is not an 'application' in beta status: as I wrote trying to gather more information from you, Cinnamon is under heavy development, which means frequent changes, which means new bugs or regressions could find their way into the code. This fact has been made clear by the devs and reviewers, and is often mentioned when comparing Cinnamon to MATE, which seems to be much more stable (as it draws from a very mature code base).

Therefore, I surely hope you're not implying that the Cinnamon devs are not being honest towards their users. That's simply not the case, since the information is out there for those who want to learn it.

Rehdon
.William.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by .William. »

Okay, whatever you like...

I decided I do not want cinnamon - I need a mature desktop environment.

So, can anyone tell me how I can un-install cinnamon and replace it with kde plasma desktop ?

Can I simply use the software-manager from Mint to un-install cinnamon and then install kde plasma desktop ?

.William.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by .William. »

dalcde wrote:Yes. Just make sure you install KDE first, or else after you install cinnamon, you'd have nothing to use!
Thanks, I'll do just that :D

.William.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by .William. »

Just a heads up that I managed to successfully change my Gnome Cinnamon to KDE Plasma desktop by simply installing KDE Plasma through Software Manager, reboot, log in into KDE and then uninstalled Cinnamon. I am very happy with my decision. Maybe I will try Cinnamon again in the future when it has matured more. :mrgreen: /

Sk8luvr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sk8luvr2 »

I am having the same problems as .William.

I have confirmed that I am indeed in a Cinnamon session. From within Cinnamon Settings > Themes: Cinnamon themes will not change even afer reboot. Other Themes: Icon themes and GTK+ themes will change immediately; window themes will Not change even after reboot.

Cinnamon Settings > Panels: Auto-Hide does not function even after reboot. Desktop Layout will not change from "Traditional" even after reboot. Panel Launchers continue to be drag-able with box unchecked even after reboot.

This is as far as I've delved, so far. I have a need of two panels because I need to deploy a replacement of Ubuntu 9.1 to a disabled client of mine. They do not adapt well to change, so I need to make his new OS look as much like Gnome 2.x as possible.

I played around with the MATE distro a bit too. However, I like the look and feel of Cinnamon a little better. I'd like to get it to work, if possible. If it can't be done without major contortions, I will go with MATE. I am hoping that my request for constructive support on this topic in this community will be better received than .William.'s was.

The system I'm experimenting with this on is: IBM T23 laptop, 1200MHz Pentium III w/ 1 GB RAM. If I can get it working here, I will likely deploy it elsewhere. IMO, Ubuntu went awry with Unity and I've tried probably 15 different distros since.

Aside from having to disable the ubiquity slideshow to get it to install, I think Mint 13 Maya looks great. However, proper function and a supportive, friendly community are important.

At any rate, any help in resolving this would be appreciated.
Sk8luvr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sk8luvr2 »

Absolutely.

A little farther down it does identify XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP as GNOME, tho..

And thanks for the speedy reply!
Sk8luvr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sk8luvr2 »

So I am not in a Cinnamon session?! I did select it before logging in and set it to default. Or were you referring to the XDG item? Please forgive my ignorance, but I am still somewhat of a novice when it comes to the nuts & bolts..
Last edited by Sk8luvr2 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sk8luvr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sk8luvr2 »

This section identifies my desktop environment as "Unknown":

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

Sk8luvr2,
hi.
i'm following the topic with interest and if you don't mind and care to participate i would like to make a simple experiment:
i'm curious in finding out how inxi would identify "cinnamon-fallback" (so to say)
(this is inxi it's a powerful system information script)
for that open the terminal and

sudo inxi -U
(this will update inxi to the latest version, and it's the only time we need to run it as root)
then

inxi -Sxxx
(capital S and 3 times x)
here it outputs
zerozero@deb-kde ~ $ inxi -Sxxx
System: Host: deb-kde Kernel: 3.2.0-3-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
Desktop: KDE 4.8.4 (Qt 4.8.2) info: plasma-desktop dm: kdm Distro: Linux Mint Debian Edition
and it's this bit about "info" that i'm curious :D

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

thanks dalcde, for joining this little test. this way we can easily compare :D

[ bliss of ignorance ]
Sk8luvr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sk8luvr2 »

Okay, I ran it and here's what I got..

Sk8luvr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sk8luvr2 »

Does the MATE version of Mint 13 Maya revert to fallback if 3D accelleration is not found?
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

Sk8luvr2,
thank you very much for your participation in this little experiment :wink:
it's appreciated.

michael thomas,
although the symptoms are similar you have a completely different issue:
that is an optimus card >> your best bet is bumbleblee >> see this topic

[ bliss of ignorance ]