Where is file search?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
vimal0212
Level 1
Level 1

Where is file search?

Post by vimal0212 »

May I know where is file search facility located in Linux mint Desktop?

stratus_ss
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Where is file search?

Post by stratus_ss »

there are a couple of ways to search. In Nautilus (the file broswer) there is a search button on the top right.
You can also use the locate command from the terminal, as well as the find command.

altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

vimal0212 wrote:May I know where is file search facility located in Linux mint Desktop?
If you mean the one that used to be in the menu prior to Mint13, it's not installed by default.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-search-tool
Then it's at Menu > Accessories > Search for Files
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

desertopal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desertopal »

Thank you altair4. I didn't know what it was called so you solved another small wish list item

sorin7486
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sorin7486 »

I'll never understand why we can't get a decent search tool built into Nautilus, one that does a bit more than just looks for the name.

waseem
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waseem »

thanks altair4, It worked for me at Maya, cinnamon. it is easy to use.

DerekP
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DerekP »

sorin7486 wrote:I'll never understand why we can't get a decent search tool built into Nautilus, one that does a bit more than just looks for the name.
I hadn't noticed but you're right. More powerful search options is a good suggestion.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoping to put my parents onto Linux Mint for its stability and usability.

altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

One you have gnome-search-tool installed you can add it as a context menu item ( as in right click a folder and select Find ) in Nemo by creating a nemo-script: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 68#p805551
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

DerekP
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DerekP »

Handy; that could be a suggestion too. The search and context feature could be set up for us noobs already :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoping to put my parents onto Linux Mint for its stability and usability.

FerryPoint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FerryPoint »

I know you're looking for a built in search via the Menu, but I have installed Gnome-Do, which is built around Quicksilver for Mac if you're familiar. It is easily invoked with a key stroke and can be pinned to the desktop. It very quickly searches and gives you options to run, locate, etc..

Also Synapse, does similar things and really more in terms of choices, once you find the file you're looking for. I just like how fast Gnome-do is.

Both are on the Software Manager app.

houmingc
Level 1
Level 1

GNU library, where is it

Post by houmingc »

i am new to linux mint.
in window, GNU library is in mingw.
in linux, do i need to download GNU library? if i don't need to, where is the library example, stdio.h?

gsant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gsant »

you can always use "locate" in the command prompt, e.g. to find where the stdio.h is, write
locate stdio.h

Return to “Cinnamon”