Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Lost Cinnamon after adding Cairo Dock

Post by jlr1701 »

Hey everybody,

Is Cairo Dock incompatible with Cinnamon? I installed it, moved the Cinnamon panel to the top of the screen, restarted Cinnamon, and lost everything except my Desktop background photo. I can't do anything in Mint now. How can I get Cinnamon back without doing a reinstall of Mint? Using Mint 13 Cinnamon 64-bit. Thanks!

Jeff
Last edited by jlr1701 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LOST CINNAMON! COULD I PLEASE GET SOME HELP?!!

Post by jlr1701 »

My Mint system is DOWN and COMPLETELY UNUSABLE. I posted several hours ago asking for help. PLEASE!!!
Asus Sabertooth X79 mobo/i7-3930k/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM/Nvidia GTX670/Samsung 540GB SSD/ 2 1TB WD hard drives
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

I guess I will just have to reinstall. :( But not likely to happen if Linux breaks this badly this easily. That's just absurd.
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

Jeff,
calm down :)
i'm shutting down for the night (but surely somebody else will chime in), now what you have to do is help us to help you.
just installing cairo-dock wouldn't bork cinnamon that way but cairo-dock adds a session to mdm/lightdm (whatever display manager you have installed) and that session is compatible with compiz and cinnamon is not (in any way)

edit: i saw now your last post, too bad you feel that way, it's basically an operator's errors.

[ bliss of ignorance ]
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

zerozero wrote:Jeff,
calm down :)
i'm shutting down for the night (but surely somebody else will chime in), now what you have to do is help us to help you.
just installing cairo-dock wouldn't bork cinnamon that way but cairo-dock adds a session to mdm/lightdm (whatever display manager you have installed) and that session is compatible with compiz and cinnamon is not (in any way)

edit: i saw now your last post, too bad you feel that way, it's basically an operator's errors.
I'm calmer now... :)

I have done so much now trying to fix this on my own that my system may really be beyond salvaging now anyway. I can get to the command prompt with Ctrl-Alt-F1. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Cinnamon. I have installed and uninstalled MATE. I have installed Openbox (which I am familiar with from using Archbang) and Unity, but can't get to ANYTHING. All I have to work with after I Ctrl-Alt-F8 back to the GUI is the mouse pointer and the photo that serves as my Desktop background. I can't logout to get to MDM. All I can do is reboot. I do get the dialog box asking me if I want to reboot or shutdown if I hit the power button. But that's it...

I didn't do anything other than install Cairo Dock, and that did bork the system totally. Just my 2 cents, but there should be some warning issued if installing something like a dock has a chance of screwing things up this badly.

I'm not really to the point of ditching Linux. I just wish it wasn't so fragile. If I do have to re-install, I have about a day of work to get back to where I was. This is an almost fresh install since I just upgraded my computer.
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

jlr1701 wrote:I guess I will just have to reinstall. :( But not likely to happen if Linux breaks this badly this easily. That's just absurd.
Please, calm down, then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to the console (Ctrl+Alt+F7 or F8 when you want to return to de desktop).
Once in the console, execute the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge cairo-dock
then:

sudo apt-get autoremove
and then:

sudo reboot
And when you're presented with the login screen, please be sure to choose "Cinnamon" for your session.
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

esteban1uy wrote:
jlr1701 wrote:I guess I will just have to reinstall. :( But not likely to happen if Linux breaks this badly this easily. That's just absurd.
Please, calm down, then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to the console (Ctrl+Alt+F7 or F8 when you want to return to de desktop).
Once in the console, execute the following command:

sudo apt-get purge cairo-dock
then:

sudo apt-get autoremove
and then:

sudo reboot
And when you're presented with the login screen, please be sure to choose "Cinnamon" for your session.
I appreciate the reply, and I have managed to calm down. :)

I have actually tried all that and more! Probably too much more...

I can't get to the login screen. Mint boots straight into the GUI and I have no way to logout to choose a session. All I have to work with is the mouse pointer and a background photo...
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Did you try reinstalling MDM? (I mean, via dpkg-reconfigure).

And what about the good ol' cinnamon --replace?

(At a console, first use export DISPLAY=:0.0 and then cinnamon --replace)

If nothing works, then you've always the possibility to fire a live-cd, backup your home folder, reinstall and put your home folder back. Of course is a pain in the rear, but it would take less than an hour to get all your things back and running.
Last edited by esteban1uy on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

esteban1uy wrote:Did you try reinstalling MDM? (I mean, via dpkg-reconfigure).

And what about the good ol' cinnamon --replace?

(At a console, first use export DISPLAY=:0.0 and then cinnamon --replace)
Yeah, I tried that too. Cinnamon gives a whole bunch of errors complaining about things I don't understand such as "actors", if that gives you a clue to what's going on.

I don't know much at the command line. But I will reboot and give dpkg a shot.
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Just try this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm
or, if something fails, this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm --force
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

esteban1uy wrote:Just try this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm
or, if something fails, this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm --force
Dpkg said it was scheduling a reload of MDM. How do I make it actually do it?
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Do this:

sudo service mdm restart
or

sudo service mdm start
By the way, did you enable mdm autologin before the problem?
What happens when you execute this command?:

mdmflexiserver
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

Okay, I am in Mint now using Gnome Classic on console 10 (Ctrl-Alt-F10). I'm still getting asked a yes/no question about MDM on another console.
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

esteban1uy wrote:Do this:

sudo service mdm restart
or

sudo service mdm start
By the way, did you enable mdm autologin before the problem?
What happens when you execute this command?:

mdmflexiserver
Yes, and mdmflexiserver logs me out.
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Ok, a yes/no question about what?
Yes/no to use mdm as default session manager?
Please, be a little more specific.

So mdmflexiserver logs you out, what else?
How do you log in again?
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

esteban1uy wrote:Ok, a yes/no question about what?

How do you log in again?
It says there is already an X server running on :0. Should another one be tried?

I login again by choosing a session (felt safe with Gnome Classic) and entering my username and password. At least that is working normally again now!
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

Just FYI, on console F1 I have a command prompt, F8 is the borked Cinnamon with just a background photo, F9 has the yes/no question about the X server, and F10 has this usable Gnome Classic session.
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

jlr1701 wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:Ok, a yes/no question about what?

How do you log in again?
It says there is already an X server running on :0. Should another one be tried?

I login again by choosing a session (felt safe with Gnome Classic) and entering my username and password. At least that is working normally again now!
So you HAVE mdm!!!!

So now, please reboot. And next time choose Cinnamon as your session.
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

Okay, rebooted but went straight into the borked Cinnamon session with no way to logout or do anything else. Just a mouse pointer and background photo...

It was easier to reboot back into Windows 7 to post.

Is there a way to disable the auto-login for now? Is there a key combo that will log me out of that borked session?
jlr1701
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jlr1701 »

BTW, I *really* appreciate you hanging with me on this, especially after I freaked out and got mad. Thank you! :)

Return to “Cinnamon”