Change window border colour on active window

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Change window border colour on active window

Post by Moem »

Minterator wrote:In 18.2 mine are all grey even tough my theme specifies different color for active window. What version are you running?

18.2 Cinnamon. Check the screenshot above for the settings that gave me coloured titlebars. I did have to play around with it; i suspect some bugginess. But it sort of works, eventually.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Moem wrote:
Minterator wrote:In 18.2 mine are all grey even tough my theme specifies different color for active window. What version are you running?

18.2 Cinnamon. Check the screenshot above for the settings that gave me coloured titlebars. I did have to play around with it; i suspect some bugginess. But it sort of works, eventually.
Window border and titlebar color is ignored here. It probably comes from Ubuntu code which will kill Mint if it starts to look like Unity. Have you tried with my c-6 theme above?
Penn

Post by Penn »

Minterator wrote:
Moem wrote:

Window border and titlebar color is ignored here. It probably comes from Ubuntu code which will kill Mint if it starts to look like Unity. Have you tried with my c-6 theme above?
Someone bumps a 4 year dead thread which is either irrelevant to the current Cinnamon or the people didn't understand how it works. This should be its own topic.

It does work the way it was designed. Change the selected themes for "Window Borders". The themes you will have to select from all have something in common, a Metacity folder with the necessary elements inside. Either in /usr/share/themes/(theme-name)/metacity or ~/.themes/(theme-name)/metacity This will be your border color and every thing in the title bar including its color and the buttons for maximize, minimize and close.

Works every time if the Metacity theme is written correctly. You can even adjust that the appropriate .xml file to change the active window border as the title of this outdated thread indicates the OP wanted to do.

Cinnamon is not Unity.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Minterator wrote:Have you tried with my c-6 theme above?
No, since I see no need. This is a bog standard installation and it works; why fiddle with it?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

And some of the stock Metacity themes (Window border) inherit colours for active window title bar from the GTK theme (Controls) and some don't (or do so far more subtly). Cinnamon is good in that it allows you to mix and match for a very wide variety of look and feel, bad in that it is not immediately intuitive how the different Metacity and GTK themes interact...

Metabox or Bright as Moem is using are good Metacity themes for an obvious colour change in the active window title bar - with the right GTK theme of course..... :twisted:

Some others go for something totally different - I'm using Adapta-Nokto across the board right now. It's active window has a subtle translucent shadow around the edge so it looks like it's raised a few mm from the desktop. Inactive windows the title bar text and controls are slightly dimmed...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Penn

Post by Penn »

smurphos wrote:Some others go for something totally different - I'm using Adapta-Nokto across the board right now. It's active window has a subtle translucent shadow around the edge so it looks like it's raised a few mm from the desktop. Inactive windows the title bar text and controls are slightly dimmed...
What? A lot of internet searches and asking on this board led me to believe you can't use metacity themes to change the shadow color. Or are you simulating that? Where can I get a good look at this theme?

As to one of your other points, Metacity (techically Muffin in Cinnamon, but same thing really) and GTK relationship is, as you indicate, not intuitive but that is a far cry from the claim it is broken, which others seem to think.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I've installed it via PPA - https://launchpad.net/~tista/+archive/ubuntu/adapta

I don't think it is different from other themes - but it seems more obvious to the eye....
Screenshot from 2017-11-12 15-23-45.png
Last edited by smurphos on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Penn

Post by Penn »

I use LMDE on one machine and Debian Stretch on another so no PPAs for me. No matter, a person can usually go to the Launchpad page for a PPA and get either a .deb or source. In fact, glancing at that now, I may have to wait until I have access to the Stretch machine since the GTK in LMDE is too old. I was hoping for a totally different color instead of just making the shadow more pronounced but that will do. Maybe I can still make the active window take on my gtk selected color. Thanks.
gwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gwi »

Penn wrote:...
Someone bumps a 4 year dead thread which is either irrelevant to the current Cinnamon or the people didn't understand how it works. This should be its own topic.
Hello, I am the OP of this thread. For me the bump helped me find out that in Cinnamon the window borders now can have their own theme, so thank you taariqq
Penn wrote:...Cinnamon is not Unity.
I am glad Cinnamon is not Unity. Unity was the reason I switched from Ubuntu to Linux Mint. :D
Regards,

George

Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria Cinnamon 64-bit, Asus Vanguard B85, Intel Core i7 4770S
Penn

Post by Penn »

gwi wrote:
Penn wrote:...
Hello, I am the OP of this thread. For me the bump helped me find out that in Cinnamon the window borders now can have their own theme, so thank you taariqq
Penn wrote:...Cinnamon is not Unity.
I am glad Cinnamon is not Unity. Unity was the reason I switched from Ubuntu to Linux Mint. :D
If you had bumped your own thread with a question as to whether it had been fixed or not, I probably wouldn't have said that. Moem is a bit more lax about necro-bumping but there is at least one Mod here that would have locked the thread since it is a protocol violation (I say protocol because I'm not sure if it is an actual rule).

However, if you think about my phrasing after that, I did offer something that may be useful to a person. So I am glad it helped, just doesn't change the fact it could have been locked before Moem, Minterator, smurfos or I offered something that could be helpful to others. So I might be able to speak for the others when I say, you are welcome
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Penn wrote:Moem is a bit more lax about necro-bumping but there is at least one Mod here that would have locked the thread since it is a protocol violation
Lax? You could have used a friendlier word than that... such as 'thank you'. :wink:
No worries, I will close the thread once I feel it's run the contructive part of its course.

Penn

Post by Penn »

Moem wrote:
Penn wrote:Moem is a bit more lax about necro-bumping but there is at least one Mod here that would have locked the thread since it is a protocol violation
Lax? You could have used a friendlier word than that... such as 'thank you'. :wink:
No worries, I will close the thread once I feel it's run the contructive part of its course.
Lax is unfriendly? When I worked for bosses that were lax I viewed it as a good thing. Sure it can also be a bad thing at times. Not here.

You're welcome. :lol:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lax can be a good thing? Okay, I'll have mine on toast then, with a sprig of dill and a glass of dry white. 8)
Well, seems we're done here... time to lock up! If anyone wants to speak more about window border colours, start a new thread... it doesn't cost extra, I promise.

Return to “Cinnamon”